2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How much oil in the 5.9, and whats the best type to use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 04:44 PM
chadhager03
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put synthetic 10w-30 in it and my oil pressure varies significantly now, I dont think it's a big deal

Old 08-17-2011, 04:51 PM
blackbeasst
Veteran

Originally Posted by zman17
What a wimp What kind of oil and filter do you get for that 20 bucks?
i know man but i just can't drop $40+ for an oil change! i know its not, but to me oil is oil is oil LOL!

Old 08-17-2011, 04:53 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You really don't need to use synthetic oil. Dino is fine. Dino has come a long way since the old days, and lubes and cleans just as good as syn. JMO, but Valvoline and Castrol are good brands and more than adequate.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:35 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone pay out the big bucks for the Mopar brand Oil Filters?

Old 08-17-2011, 05:40 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Use a Wix or Mopar or Napa Gold(which is a Wix). Or if you have a choice and can get one Baldwin.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
Use a Wix or Mopar or Napa Gold(which is a Wix). Or if you have a choice and can get one Baldwin.
Yes, and for the Love of Mike DON'T use Fram. Nothing but overpriced garbage.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:30 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Yes, and for the Love of Mike DON'T use Fram. Nothing but overpriced garbage.
Unfortunately I'm using that over priced garbage. But I've not had any problems so far.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:42 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I almost think that if you don't have time to change the oil yourself or the desire it's one of the few things that you can't save much money on doing yourself. Even buying a Purolator Classic Filter for $4 or so, and cheap oil at Walmart for $12 or so you are up to $16, so if you can find an oil change for $20 or under, there isn't much savings to be had.

That being said, I do my own oil changes because I don't trust shops like that and there are too many horror stories of them not actually changing the oil/filter, and or problems of them forgetting to put the filter on, stripping out the oil pans drain plug hole, etc. This stuff makes me worry enough that I'd rather just do it myself and not have to worry about if it was done correctly as I know it is.

As for brands of and filters, pretty much everything I've ever read that's tested oil filters has said that Wix is the best. The Napa Gold filters also are, or were last time I checked Wix filters. That being said, I personally use Purolator Pure One filters most of the time and I like them just because they are easier for me to get than Wix, and I've never had an issue with them.

The Mopar filters are just other brands with the Mopar name stamped on there. There really isn't a difference.

As for Fram, I'd never run that crap on my vehicle. They are pretty much the biggest POS oil filter you can buy from all of the tests I've ever read about them, and more people have had problems than I like to hear about. You can get a much better filter for not much if any more money.

Other than most people being able to agree on Fram being basically crap, both oil filter and oil are highly debated items where everyone has their own preference. If you ask 50 people what they think is best you will get 50 answers.

I used to run only Royal Purple in my truck and almost always either Napa Gold or Purolator Pure One filters. I still changed the oil and filter ever 3k miles or so. This gave me peace of mind, but it was costing me $45 or so for an oil change, and it was really starting to add up. After I started having an injector make noise in the cold, I decided that running premium oil for most of the life of the vehicle had obviously done nothing, so I decided then to quit spending that much on an oil change for this truck and I switched back to regular oil. I now run the Super Tech oil Walmart sells in the truck and I still run a Pure One filter. Now my oil changes cost me about $17 if I get the filters when they are on sale. It's a big savings when I noticed absolutely no difference, and the premium oil didn't seem to do anything to make it last any longer anyway.

That being said, I do still run Royal Purple oil in my main car, but I started pushing it to 5k miles instead of the 3k mile interval I had been doing, so it offsets the cost some.

I know others who prefer Mobil 1 to Royal Purple, and others who like Rotella. Like I said, it's all really just a personal opinion for most people.

My best advice is to check out the site Bob Is the Oil guy, or whatever that site is called. It's got lots of great info.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:49 PM
stewie01
Legend

I do my own oil changes and I will say my truck is the hardest to change the oil on out of all I've done. Changing the oil on my wife's Buick Century is easier.

They got the oil pan square in the middle of the front pretty much in line with the wheels (I know it's where it's supposed to be, with the engine and all) just a pain to get to with running boards and a 4x2 with no lift and one that isn't leveled. However it seems coming in from the front between the wheels makes life easier.

Plus the drain plug is in the front of the pan, and unless there is an advantage to that (please feel free to explain if there is) it would seem the truck needs to be fairly level to drain, making using ramps or having the truck on an upward incline (like a little dirt hill to help with clearance) difficult, seems the oil would go to the back of the pan with the drain plug in the front.

And the oil filter placement isn't any better either. Still, rather do it myself then pay $40 or more to a shop.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:53 PM
candymancan
Veteran

On my Jeep's 5.9 i use Castrol GTX dino oil, and the Purolator Pure one filter (the yellow one). I've heared using synthetic on these motor's gives you better gas mileage but i dunno if i want to switch to synthetic. Not sure what its like under a dodge truck, but the oil filter placement on my Jeeps 5.9 is pretty easy to get too... same motor so i dunno why you guys say its hard to get too, is there something in the way for you ?

I know on the 4.0 Inline 6 its like super easy haha i love that engine

I dont really like spending $35 on changing my own oil when shops charge like $20. But then i dont trust shops with my motor.

Quick Reply: How much oil in the 5.9, and whats the best type to use?