2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fluid question and this...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 10:46 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid question and this...

I was just having a general look around and look at things and noticed this and that my transmission fluid was low. So what should I do and what fluid is recommended(brand wise, I mean cause I know its ATF+4 lol)? Any time I had the fluid changed was at the dealership (which isn't a bad one and I know people there) or the shop I usually go to and no, not that its been that long but for the life of me I can't remember what brand transmission fluid I had used last time so I figured I'd ask what you guys use in yours. This is on my 96 Ram 1500 5.2 4x4 btw...just havent updated my profile in years lol.

Last edited by melodytoinvent; 07-14-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:56 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain
Old 07-14-2018, 11:22 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

On a t-case, it really doesn't matter which brand to use. Any atf works. Looks like the output seal is leaking, and it's a good time to change the bushing in there, too, as it may be slightly worn. And that leads to premature failure of the new seal if not changed. I have same thing waiting, just need to get the parts.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:26 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
On a t-case, it really doesn't matter which brand to use. Any atf works. Looks like the output seal is leaking, and it's a good time to change the bushing in there, too, as it may be slightly worn. And that leads to premature failure of the new seal if not changed. I have same thing waiting, just need to get the parts.
I'd just use the same for the case in the end lol. So really just wondering what everyone else puts in for transmission fluid.But seal for sure and I'll look into the bushing too then.

Old 07-14-2018, 04:08 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by melodytoinvent
I'd just use the same for the case in the end lol. So really just wondering what everyone else puts in for transmission fluid.But seal for sure and I'll look into the bushing too then.
I use royal purple but a really good brand is Castrol (used that before Royal Purple)

Old 07-18-2018, 11:24 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I have Amsoil in mine.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:52 PM
Sam Senger
Amateur

for my second Gen i use house brand-generic oil and transmission fluid. For my fourth Gen i use MOPAR (whatever the dealer uses) oil and transmission fluid.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:58 PM
Shadow_Death
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AFAIK all ATF+4 transmission fluids have to pass Chrysler standards in order to use the ATF+4 name. That said I don't see any justification for paying more for transmission fluid than you have to. Someone else may know something I don't though.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:33 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow_Death
AFAIK all ATF+4 transmission fluids have to pass Chrysler standards in order to use the ATF+4 name. That said I don't see any justification for paying more for transmission fluid than you have to. Someone else may know something I don't though.
See here is the thing. To put ATF+4 on the bottle yes they have to pass Chrysler's (Now Fiat) tests but they also have to pay Fiat. So in my case (Royal Purple) doesn't say ATF+4 but rather Max ATF. Now I called them and they said it will work and they have a guarantee that if it don't work in whatever you orp their fluid in (Engine, tranny, diffs, water, etc) they will replace that item. I had them email me that in writing (only find print is I have to register my miles and you have to have less then 180,000 miles) and it's covered. So that's what I use.

Quick Reply: Fluid question and this...