2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

gaaahhhhh this cant be happening

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:00 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default water pump, timing set, and plenum fix, with a broken intake bolt in the head

I bought a new serp belt the other day and got around to installing it this afternoon...well went to go to the store tonight and it shredded off...i couldnt find the belt anywhere in the road. Hopefully its under the hood somewhere... Any ideas as to why this happened? All the pulleys looked fine and i ran the truck for a few minutes after install and it was perfect...now i dont have a way to work in the am....any help is appreciated thanks guys!!

Last edited by redneck_ram; 09-22-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:24 PM
rczanstke
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would double check that no pulleys are seized. Also, is your tensioner okay? It could just be a defective belt, but that seems very unlikely.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:26 PM
Mpi360
Banned

My thoughts are a Goodyear Gatorback ?

Old 09-15-2011, 10:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

if you had the belt not quite aligned on one of the pulleys, that is precisely what would happen......

Old 09-15-2011, 10:59 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpi360
My thoughts are a Goodyear Gatorback ?

Is the Goodyear Gotorback the best belt to use? I am going to replace timing set and water pump when I install modded kegger, and will rpobably replace hoses and belt while I have it down.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:05 PM
Mpi360
Banned

Originally Posted by gdstock
Is the Goodyear Gotorback the best belt to use? I am going to replace timing set and water pump when I install modded kegger, and will rpobably replace hoses and belt while I have it down.
I read some were(no experiance with one) that the GatorBack wil shred in no time on outr truck's.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:37 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it was a cheapy from advance. but i had it aligned perfectly, and it was tracking good when i did a start up test. what pisses me off the most is when the belt let go it took off my oil dipstick handle. how and i going to get that sucker out of the tube?its recessed about 1/4 inch in the tube. found the belt nicely wrapped around the fan clutch. going to throw the old belt on just to get me to work and then to the parts store to get the belt warrantied and get a new tensioner. thinking the tensioner may be the culprit! we will see....

i literally drove less than 5 miles from my house when it happened. let me tell ya, no power steering, and using as little lights as possible, it was a fun drive home!

Old 09-15-2011, 11:46 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

this probably make you miss the old school v-belts. back when the power steering and alternator where on separate belts. it is pretty hard to kill a v-belt unless there loose.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:51 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
it was a cheapy from advance. but i had it aligned perfectly, and it was tracking good when i did a start up test. what pisses me off the most is when the belt let go it took off my oil dipstick handle. how and i going to get that sucker out of the tube?its recessed about 1/4 inch in the tube. found the belt nicely wrapped around the fan clutch. going to throw the old belt on just to get me to work and then to the parts store to get the belt warrantied and get a new tensioner. thinking the tensioner may be the culprit! we will see....

i literally drove less than 5 miles from my house when it happened. let me tell ya, no power steering, and using as little lights as possible, it was a fun drive home!

If you mention the tensioner, they probably won't warranty the belt. May want to get tensioner at another store!

Old 09-16-2011, 12:04 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpi360
I read some were(no experiance with one) that the GatorBack wil shred in no time on outr truck's.
Uh, no it will not. Not sure who stated that, but they were incorrect. I have been running a Gatorback on my truck for the past 5000+ miles or so, no problems at all. The tensioner and water pump I bought, on the other hand, I am having second thoughts about...

Quick Reply: gaaahhhhh this cant be happening