2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC Clutch Not Moving Even After Direct Jumping

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 03:54 PM
Kulte
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Clutch Not Moving Even After Direct Jumping

Hello,
I started to put refrigerant in my 1998 5.2L Ram 1500 with a manifold gauge when my compressor decided to stop clicking on. I checked the fuse and relay, they are fine. Figuring that since the refrigerant was too low to engage, I jumped the low switch, still nothing. I finally jumped the battery to the clutch wire and heard a click and clutch moved very slightly, but no engagement.
Do I need to replace just the clutch or the whole compressor?
Thanks!

Old 04-10-2022, 04:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

See if you are getting power and ground at the connector the clutch. Engine running, a/c on.

Old 04-10-2022, 10:18 PM
Kulte

I'll borrow a multimeter tomorrow because I did not test ground. I tested continuity on positive and hooked up negative to the car battery. There was continuity then. Is your thought that although I put direct power to the clutch from the battery that if there is a ground issue that it would not have engaged?

Old 04-11-2022, 06:41 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Figuring that since the refrigerant was too low to engage, I jumped the low switch,
Did you see what the pressure was before you put it in? Is the relay engaging when the ac is on?

Old 04-11-2022, 10:57 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 574 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Kulte
Hello,
I started to put refrigerant in my 1998 5.2L Ram 1500 with a manifold gauge when my compressor decided to stop clicking on. I checked the fuse and relay, they are fine. Figuring that since the refrigerant was too low to engage, I jumped the low switch, still nothing. I finally jumped the battery to the clutch wire and heard a click and clutch moved very slightly, but no engagement.
Do I need to replace just the clutch or the whole compressor?
Thanks!

Use some jumper wire to run power to and from the clutch. If it barely moves, or doesn't move at all, the clutch is bad. You can replace just the clutch. However, if the shaft is oily, your compressor seals are on the way out. That may be why you have to replace the refrigerant. In that case, I'd replace the whole magilla.

The following users liked this post:
AtomicDog (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 09:47 PM
Kulte

I did a lot of jumping and measuring today.
First, I do have ground in the black wire with the red clip leading to the clutch.
I also tried jumping the green low switch, the switch above the compressor that look like they lead to refrigerant lines, and the relay pin socket #30 to the pin socket above it. When I did that, there was NO continuity to the cable going into the clutch. When I jumped the relay to the battery, was able to continuity in the cable. Strange. In fact, when measuring on the jumped relay I couldn't get continuity on the jumper itself!

Old 10-23-2022, 01:12 PM
Kulte

To close this one off, the AC clutch started to turn on again. I pulled a new vacuum, put in refrigerant, and had AC for first time in 8 years--for 3 glorious minutes until the clutch stopped again...

In the end, I pulled a shim from the AC clutch and it worked consistently again! I did check to make sure that the clutch wasn't actuated all the time, but thankfully it only comes on when I turn on my AC.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

Quick Reply: AC Clutch Not Moving Even After Direct Jumping