2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clogged heater core?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 01:29 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by John D in CT
Totally understand your having someone esle do it. I have a lift, and mechanical work still pretty much sucks.
Not clear about your meaning of the lift comment. Is that sarcasm?

You had said before that the engine temp seemed low; has it gone back up to normal? I'm thinking that a stuck-open thermostat is the only thing that can cause an engine to run cooler than the t-stat rating.
Temp gauge is showing nominal.

Here it is and how does this read to you folks?

Name:  IMG_20111025_170645.jpg
Views: 3199
Size:  64.3 KB

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
The old tstat was working fine. New one is in place now though.

Are you sure it was running cooler, or did it just seem that way because you weren't getting much heat?
Looking back this seems like it. It was 6am, so its possible I was not feeling my coffee yet as I was assessing things while the damn cold air kept coming out of the heater.

It seems odd that it would come on slowly, but it seems that you might just have a clogged heater core that didn't respond to flushing. And maybe, just maybe, a trapped air bubble inside the system. Have you tried "burping" it by parking on an incline for a while, with the nose higher than the rear?

And try this: connect the in and out hoses of the heater core together (take the heater core out of the loop). If the hoses get a lot hotter, you have a plugged heater core. This is the way my heater hoses are routed right now in my Jetta, because replacing heater cores sucks so bad.
Not following you about the "come on slowly" part.

Picked up the truck tonight and temp gauge reads nominal. Heater runs and puts out heat. I didn't bring a thermometer to see what it was, but its hot. Therefore, the backflush did have an effect. I'd like to verify what the Max Heater Temp. Output is supposed to be. Anyone have an idea of how to track that down? I searched on "dodge ram heater specifications" w/o much insight.

I asked about the burping. They did that, but also said to expect some continual burping over the next few days.

Thanks for chiming in. Sorry if I misread you as its late that I'm attempting to collect thoughts on this pesky issue.

Last edited by Wh1t3NuKle; 10-27-2011 at 01:32 AM. Reason: added temp gauge image
Old 10-27-2011, 01:54 AM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where your gauge is, is also where mine reads normally and my heat works great. I have to wonder if the a/c controls in the gen2 are like the gen 1 rams, wherein they are controlled by vacuum - that means of there is a cracked or broken vacuum line on the back of the heater control, the blend door may not be moving. I could be wrong, but this is me just thinking out loud.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:49 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle

Picked up the truck tonight and temp gauge reads nominal. Heater runs and puts out heat. I didn't bring a thermometer to see what it was, but its hot. Therefore, the backflush did have an effect. I'd like to verify what the Max Heater Temp. Output is supposed to be. Anyone have an idea of how to track that down? I searched on "dodge ram heater specifications" w/o much insight.

You'll find that info in the service manual from the FAQ/DIY section.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^Right you are padre. Page 2735 (24-6 Heating and Air Conditioning)

I failed to mention that after picking up...i also ran the A/C. It gave me cold air too.

Going to assess the other OBSTRUCTED COOLANT FLOW possibilities listed in the FSM. bahh!!

@peshewa -- thanks

Old 10-27-2011, 10:32 AM
John D in CT
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you've got your heat working; good timing, because they're predicting a cooling trend from now until about March.

This: "Totally understand your having someone else do it. I have a lift, and mechanical work still pretty much sucks" - wasn't sarcastic. I was just saying that even with an automotive lift in a heated shop, automotive work can still suck big time - especially heater cores - so there can be a definite advantage to having someone else do it.

This one was just an old fashioned brain cramp - "It seems odd that it would come on slowly, but it seems that you might just have a clogged heater core that didn't respond to flushing". I meant to say the opposite - that it seems odd that the heater core would stop putting out heat all of a sudden. Maybe it just finally reached a point where you noticed it wasn't keeping you warm - or maybe heater cores can suffer the eqivalent of a stroke, where a vital passageway suddenly becomes cloged with a wayward hunk of goop.

Again, glad it's working.

Quick Reply: Clogged heater core?