2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help speaker problems

Old 08-15-2020, 11:09 PM
Hunter Staton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help speaker problems

So today I decided I’d replace my 2 rear speakers on my 1998 ram 2500 as the cones on both of them were basically ripped into pieces... anyway I connect the new speakers directly into the two wires in the door as I did not have the harness so when I go to test them out none of them are producing sound and I’m currently only getting sound out of my front driver side speaker... I don’t know if it helps but I have the infinity audio system in this truck and I was thinking maybe that had something to do with my issues

the original rear speakers had 2 green wires and 2 black wires attached to them

Last edited by Hunter Staton; 08-15-2020 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:10 PM
Hunter Staton
Default ^^^

T

Old 08-15-2020, 11:11 PM
Hunter Staton
Default Wires

These are the wires that come from the door to the harness I cut the clip off from the door to the speaker

Old 08-16-2020, 12:52 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 100 Likes on 95 Posts

Going by the wiring diagram in that year the premium audio had a peculiar setup: The front speakers have their own amplifiers at the speakers which also drive the additional tweeters, but the rears are fed directly from the radio. The brown/yellow and brown/light blue wires in the pictures make that the left rear (right side is dark blue/orange and dark blue/white) and connecting the speaker directly to those wires should work. Unless the radio output amplifier is blown or the wiring is messed up.
Not sure what to make of the green and black wires you mentioned, maybe these were not factory speakers anymore.

Old 08-16-2020, 12:56 AM
Hunter Staton

Originally Posted by DerTruck
Going by the wiring diagram in that year the premium audio had a peculiar setup: The front speakers have their own amplifiers at the speakers which also drive the additional tweeters, but the rears are fed directly from the radio. The brown/yellow and brown/light blue wires in the pictures make that the left rear (right side is dark blue/orange and dark blue/white) and connecting the speaker directly to those wires should work. Unless the radio output amplifier is blown or the wiring is messed up.
Not sure what to make of the green and black wires you mentioned, maybe these were not factory speakers anymore.

thats the funny part the right side has the exact same colors but I’m honestly wondering the more and more I think about it if the wires are messed up somewhere or if the head unit wiring is done wrong. I thought I was doing it wrong but when I tested to see if they had power I was reading they weren’t getting power but I don’t know what the chances of both doors not receiving power would be. You think I should check the wiring going into the head unit?

Old 08-16-2020, 02:06 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 100 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunter Staton
thats the funny part the right side has the exact same colors but I’m honestly wondering the more and more I think about it if the wires are messed up somewhere or if the head unit wiring is done wrong. I thought I was doing it wrong but when I tested to see if they had power I was reading they weren’t getting power but I don’t know what the chances of both doors not receiving power would be. You think I should check the wiring going into the head unit?
Well I suppose the door wiring harness to the speakers could be the same on both sides and it's an error in the wiring diagram (Coincidentally in 2001 both sides use the same colors). Check if the colors change at the connector. In any case there is no additional power supply to the rear speakers. Wouldn't hurt to pull out the radio and see what's going on there. That will also allow you to check the wiring to the speakers with an ohm meter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help speaker problems