2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Antenna male connector that goes to head unit 1996 Ram No Infinity

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 11:38 PM
dtortor1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna male connector that goes to head unit 1996 Ram No Infinity

I recently decided to try my hand at stereo installation after my head unit finally died. I got everything figured out, the dash kit, the wiring harness, and all of the wires but when I went to hook the antenna up, it wouldn't fit.

I thought I needed an adapter but I took it by a stereo store and the connector was actually still in the stock head unit. We got it out with needle nose pliars and stuck it back on. He said I may or may not get good reception. I only get three channels. I don't know if I can crimp this back on or fix it some other way.

The guy at the stereo store suggested that I go back and trace it and replace it. He said it may have an extension somwhere so I may not have to go all the way back to the antenna. Does anyone know? Does this involve removing part of the dash? Is there an easier way?

Thanks for your help!

Dom

Old 12-25-2011, 11:53 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should be able to open connector and solder back in. Would be easier to tell if you could post a picture.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:29 PM
dtortor1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went out to take pictures and give it one more shot. I took the metal piece back off. A friend told me there would be a small wire inside like "a cable tv wire". Sure enough, I saw it crimped down inside. There was a small tube on the wire that goes to the antenna.

I widened the metal piece with needle nose pliers, stuck something in there to fish out the wire, straightnened it a bit, threaded in the small hole on the wire, and wrapped up with duct tape.

I now have incredible fm reception. Thank you for those that looked and tried to help. I can still post pics later if anyone else has this problem.

Thanks,

Dom

Quick Reply: Antenna male connector that goes to head unit 1996 Ram No Infinity