2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck runs slightly rougher when it's cold out

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 05:30 PM
chadhager03
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck runs slightly rougher when it's cold out

Well today it dropped to about 75 degrees, and I noticed my truck is making almost like a small stick in a fan noise. Its goes along with the engine so it could be a small pinging noise. Even after driving it for about 30 mins or so it was still making the same noise as when I started it. I went to lunch and it warmed up to about 85 degrees and the "pinging" went away.

I just replaced my plenum, timing, 02 sensors, oil, seafoamed it, and changed the water pump.

Thanks for any suggestions

Old 12-28-2011, 05:55 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Normal. Massive temp changes change the air density and throw the previously stored MAP sensor values out of whack until the truck gets up to normal operating temperature. Even then, cold air and a colder charge is still harder to ignite.

Clean the throttle body, spray some Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner through the throttle body while it's idling, and drive it like you stole it.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:33 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Even then, cold air and a colder charge is still harder to ignite.
That seems counterintuitive to me. With more molecules of air/fuel mix per unit of volume, there's more go-bangy stuff up against the spark. Idner?

Old 12-28-2011, 08:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
That seems counterintuitive to me. With more molecules of air/fuel mix per unit of volume, there's more go-bangy stuff up against the spark. Idner?
Yep. Trouble is, colder air won't hold the atomized fuel in suspension as well, so it tends to 'droplet up'. Liquid gas simply doesn't burn. Vapors burn.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:13 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Dammit, twice now i have tried to write an explanation and have been told i have timed out. I've about had it with this damn forum.

HeyYou's explanation is correct. That's what happens on a cold start up.

That is why you shouldn't polish intake runners. The smooth surface will promote the fuel staying together instead of atomizing the fuel. The rough surface is actually a benefit in the intake runner. After the intake valve heats up it might be a moot point, but cold startup and idle would be a real bitch with polished runners.

Carbon build up on intake valves also contributes to poor running as it soaks up fuel and releases it as drops. The carbon doesn't get hot like the steel valves and soaks up fuel and releases it in drops, which is why you always see more carbon build up on the bottom half of the backs of the intake valves.

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 12-28-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:22 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yep. Trouble is, colder air won't hold the atomized fuel in suspension as well, so it tends to 'droplet up'.
At the OP's biting cold 75F?

Originally Posted by chadhager03
Well today it dropped to about 75 degrees

Old 12-29-2011, 12:48 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
At the OP's biting cold 75F?

Wish it would "drop" up to 75 degrees here! I bet that was a typo and the temp dropped 75 degrees......

Old 12-29-2011, 02:45 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by gdstock
Wish it would "drop" up to 75 degrees here! I bet that was a typo and the temp dropped 75 degrees......
I'm hip! We aren't seeing 75F until June at the earliest. A friend of mine in north Florida says she's seen 50's so I'm figuring the OP is Space Coast or south of there. I could be wrong...

Right around here, 40F drops are pretty common (pretty much every day things) and going 40F to -20F isn't unheard of. I just don't know of anywhere where 75 degree swings are to be expected so I took OP at his word.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:20 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend

I misread it as a 75* change, so perhaps it is something else. I'd be leery of chasing minor gremlins on a 10+ year old motor.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:15 AM
chadhager03
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep south Florida isn't the coldest area
But I know I shouldn't be searching for such a small problem but my truck was running so good

Quick Reply: Truck runs slightly rougher when it's cold out