2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 2wd front wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 06:09 PM
mstephen89
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i actually found some on ebay, for 55bucks, with free shipping. So I will probably go with one of those if they can't help me. I think that they will have what I need though.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:36 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 what dhvaughan said, A 2001 uses the 4x4 style hub assembly as one unit. If you found bearings to replace in that unit, maybe they will work. But I don't think so. Dodge changed from replaceable bearings on a 2wd a few years ago to 4x4 style. Not sure what year though.

And btw, yes I've seen dbl races like that. But that is on a chevy tracker hub.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:00 PM
mstephen89
Captain

ok so i found a bearing. found it at advanced auto parts, it is a moog brand
40 bucks.
if you look at my picture, how the two bearings come out of the double race, the moog one does not come apart, i guess that mine is for sure bad. I am going to call the bearing place in town tomorrow and see if they are any cheaper, if they are i will return the one to advanced.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:52 PM
mstephen89
Captain

got it all back together, no issues. decided not to wait till tomorrow to reassemble it. Going for a test drive now.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:22 AM
mstephen89
Captain

alright, truck is better then ever, lol(I've only had it for a few weeks). The new bearing not only got rid of the leaning tire, but also the tire drone. I didn't even realize how loud the road noise was until now. Truck is still making some popping noises when I turn and hit bumps at the same time, I'm thinking driver side ball joint, but will have to investigate further.

Oh and for anyone who wants to know, the part number for the bearing is 513058, I got it from advanced auto for 39.99+tax. It is national brand, by moog.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:10 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
+1 what dhvaughan said, A 2001 uses the 4x4 style hub assembly as one unit. If you found bearings to replace in that unit, maybe they will work. But I don't think so. Dodge changed from replaceable bearings on a 2wd a few years ago to 4x4 style. Not sure what year though.
^this was my understanding as well.

Originally Posted by mstephen89
ok so i found a bearing. found it at advanced auto parts, it is a moog brand
40 bucks.
if you look at my picture, how the two bearings come out of the double race, the moog one does not come apart, i guess that mine is for sure bad. I am going to call the bearing place in town tomorrow and see if they are any cheaper, if they are i will return the one to advanced.
Guess you are first guinea pig then. Hopefully it works as intended and therefore you can report this option for people.

Originally Posted by mstephen89
alright, truck is better then ever, lol(I've only had it for a few weeks). The new bearing not only got rid of the leaning tire, but also the tire drone. I didn't even realize how loud the road noise was until now. Truck is still making some popping noises when I turn and hit bumps at the same time, I'm thinking driver side ball joint, but will have to investigate further.

Oh and for anyone who wants to know, the part number for the bearing is 513058, I got it from advanced auto for 39.99+tax. It is national brand, by moog.

Maybe you already know this, but lift the tires off ground to check the ball joints. Grab tire and shake for play at 12 and 6 oclock positions. Even see if they hold any lube anymore. Hopefully they are good. Popping could also be track bar at the frame.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Should be a sealed bearing...... permanently greased. (for certain values of permanent....)

Old 01-13-2012, 12:14 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

did you have to press it in with an actual press, or just knock it in with a hammer and driver/big socket ?

+1 on ball joints on the popping.
but if you do need a track bar, check rockauto for best price.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:02 PM
mstephen89
Captain

yes is it a permanently greased bearing, which sucks, but oh well.

yes i actually had to use a press to press the bearing in and out.

its definately not the trackbar, as a 2wd does not have a track bar.

i know how to check ball joints, but I cannot find anything else that seems worn, at all in the front suspension.

Quick Reply: 2000 2wd front wheel bearings