2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lifter noise goes away when put into gear?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:23 AM
tweav88
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter noise goes away when put into gear?

So lately since winter finally arrived i noticed my truck will make one hell of a ticking noise when it sits in the cold for awhile, if i let it run for awhile it goes away, that's why i thought it was a lifter.

But i noticed that if i put it into neutral the noise will go away, same with all other gears except park.

The Tranny Fluid level is fine, and its not dirty. Other than the noise nothing is acting "weird," i just don't know if this could be something serious or not.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,381 Likes on 3,121 Posts

Torque converter doesn't get filled in park. If just putting it in neutral makes the noise go away, I would chalk it up to the cold, and not worry about it.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:30 AM
tweav88
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Torque converter doesn't get filled in park. If just putting it in neutral makes the noise go away, I would chalk it up to the cold, and not worry about it.
I thought it might be that actually, and not a lifter, but this noise seriously scared me when i first started hearing it.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Lifter noise goes away when put into gear?