DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   governor pressure sensor/solenoid replaced and bands tightened...shifting at 3k now? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/317673-governor-pressure-sensor-solenoid-replaced-and-bands-tightened-shifting-at-3k-now.html)

blackbeasst 02-08-2012 04:08 PM

governor pressure sensor/solenoid replaced and bands tightened...shifting at 3k now?

i barely get on it and it doesn't shift now till about 3000 rpms. also when i let off it stays at the same rpm and doesn't let back down.

have i been driving it so long with it messed up that i just don't know the correct shift points or what?

sorry for the sideways vids. youtube seems to take forever to edit it

blackbeasst 02-08-2012 05:10 PM

http://youtu.be/IVThR4RERuA

PapaG 02-08-2012 06:57 PM

I'm sure someone that know more than me will chime in but that looks like some sensor/solenoid issues from what I've read about them. Bad part maybe...?
You sure all the connectors are making good contact? I'm assuming you had the negative cable unhooked when you did the work so the computer should have reset itself then...right?

blackbeasst 02-08-2012 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by PapaG (Post 2714170)
I'm sure someone that know more than me will chime in but that looks like some sensor/solenoid issues from what I've read about them. Bad part maybe...?
You sure all the connectors are making good contact? I'm assuming you had the negative cable unhooked when you did the work so the computer should have reset itself then...right?

i hope its not a sensor/solenoid problem since i just replaced them :)

and i have no clue if he removed the battery cable or not. might have to start there and see.

stewie01 02-08-2012 07:04 PM

What's the red light below your speedo?

blackbeasst 02-08-2012 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by stewie01 (Post 2714181)
What's the red light below your speedo?

abs and brake light. they come and go as they please! im sure the speed sensor in the rear diff needs replaced!

PapaG 02-08-2012 07:09 PM

TV cable adjustment....?
Well really I guess start with the basics. Check fluid level in neutral with parking brake on. I was assuming you did the work yourself but if someone else did it then fluid level would be first thing to check just to make sure.

stewie01 02-08-2012 07:11 PM

Is there any chance over-tightening the bands could cause a delayed/upper RPM shift?

Maybe it's just your exhaust or how the audio sounds but to me it sounds like your motor is working pretty hard, but I could be hearing things too.

blackbeasst 02-08-2012 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by PapaG (Post 2714187)
TV cable adjustment....?

i thought about that. but the cable wasn't touched. would adding new parts and adjusting the bands require another adjustment of the tv cable?

zman17 02-08-2012 07:30 PM

Probably not, if it wasn't touched previously. But I'd check it anyway. The factory adjustment can be found in this thread. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-in-trans.html

And if you wish to fool around with it any further, you can do so in this manner.

http://www.bionicdodge.com/Download/...Adjustment.pdf

PapaG 02-08-2012 07:33 PM

What was the reason for changing the sensor and solenoid to begin with? Was there an issue or just preventive maintenance for old parts?

zman17 02-08-2012 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by PapaG (Post 2714215)
What was the reason for changing the sensor and solenoid to begin with? Was there an issue or just preventive maintenance for old parts?

Good example of keeping things in the same thread. ;)

blackbeasst 02-08-2012 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by PapaG (Post 2714215)

well i noticed that the tranny was acting up where sometimes it would jerk around in first, long shift times, etc. so i took it to a guy and he hooked his machine up and before we drove it showed me what it was supposed to register. well it was all over the map so we decided to go ahead and replace them as well as tighten the bands and change the fluid filter.

Originally Posted by zman17 (Post 2714207)
Probably not, if it wasn't touched previously. But I'd check it anyway. The factory adjustment can be found in this thread. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-in-trans.html

And if you wish to fool around with it any further, you can do so in this manner.

http://www.bionicdodge.com/Download/...Adjustment.pdf

just boggles my mind that if it wasn't touched that it would change it in any manner

gdstock 02-08-2012 08:18 PM

TV cable can need adjusting for several reasons, including normal wear and tear, incidental slippin in bracket, and variations in wear in tranny.

Also, if speed sensor is not correct, it will effect shift points ad PCM controls this. Need to change it out and get rid of red light on dash. Eliminate any known problems that may mask other probvlems.....

blackbeasst 02-08-2012 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by gdstock (Post 2714256)
TV cable can need adjusting for several reasons, including normal wear and tear, incidental slippin in bracket, and variations in wear in tranny.

Also, if speed sensor is not correct, it will effect shift points ad PCM controls this. Need to change it out and get rid of red light on dash. Eliminate any known problems that may mask other probvlems.....

yeah i guess i need to grab one. is it not odd that with the same bad speed sensor (supposedly), it should shift at the same points it did before we replaced the gov sensor/solenoid and bands?

PapaG 02-09-2012 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by zman17 (Post 2714219)
Good example of keeping things in the same thread. ;)

LMAO Zman. Yeah I learned my lesson. :icon_slapcry: Hehehehe

PapaG 02-09-2012 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by blackbeasst (Post 2714266)
yeah i guess i need to grab one. is it not odd that with the same bad speed sensor (supposedly), it should shift at the same points it did before we replaced the gov sensor/solenoid and bands?

Yeah but these trans are weird when it comes to the sensors. Sometimes they don't act like we think they should. For example with mine I had OD issues and started looking into it and when I dropped the pan found a pc of an o-ring so now it's rebuild time but point is while I was in the pan I was checking out/cleaning the sensor and solenoid. Afterwards I was reading in MonteC's thread that my 2001 should have the plastic sensor and not the metal one that is in it. A 2001 computer won't work correctly with the metal sensor. BUT the only issue I have with my trans is no OD. Shifts fine otherwise and no slippage, etc. So I'm stumped as to why I haven't had other noticeable issues from the wrong parts.

zman17 02-09-2012 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by blackbeasst (Post 2714255)
well i noticed that the tranny was acting up where sometimes it would jerk around in first, long shift times, etc. so i took it to a guy and he hooked his machine up and before we drove it showed me what it was supposed to register. well it was all over the map so we decided to go ahead and replace them as well as tighten the bands and change the fluid filter.

just boggles my mind that if it wasn't touched that it would change it in any manner

Also make sure the spring is not broken. It's down at the tranny end of the cable.

blackbeasst 02-09-2012 08:53 AM

aight, so in the 30 degree cold this morning with no abs/brake lights on it shifts like a champ around 23-2500 rpms. so all signs are pointing to the speed sensor messing with it yesterday when i picked it up.

so are speed sensors speed sensors or is there a better one compared to others?

this one suffice?

ok after looking around it seems that if i have 4 wheel abs that i have 2 sensors on the front wheels. how can i tell if i have 4 wheel abs?

HeyYou 02-09-2012 10:43 AM

Look at the front wheels. If there is a wire going to them, you have 4wal.

blackbeasst 02-09-2012 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 2714648)
Look at the front wheels. If there is a wire going to them, you have 4wal.

just called the dealership with my vin and i have rear wheel only. so with that said, is that piece at advance the one i need or is that for the front wheels?

HeyYou 02-09-2012 11:05 AM

Nope, that's the rear sensor. Goes in the pig. Right on top. Easy to find. :D

HeyYou 02-09-2012 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by blackbeasst (Post 2714680)
so this one will work fine huh?

DOH!!! That should been a "yup".......

blackbeasst 02-09-2012 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 2714675)
Nope, that's the rear sensor. Goes in the pig. Right on top. Easy to find. :D

so this one will work fine huh? guess i'll grab that for a weekend job :)

zman17 02-09-2012 05:07 PM

That would be it. And it should take all of ten minutes to replace ;)

blackbeasst 02-10-2012 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by zman17 (Post 2714903)
That would be it. And it should take all of ten minutes to replace ;)

coolio. can't beat buying stuff at advance auto will all the coupon codes they have! $21 for that part :icon_eddie:

im guessing its recommended to lube it up good before i put in the hole http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/u.../allnighte.gif

jswain 02-11-2012 11:38 PM

There are two speed sensors, right? One in the trans and one in the diff. I don't remember if the ABS light came on when the speed sensor in the trans failed or not. I do remember it shifted later. Just wanted to make sure you knew there are two speed sensors and that you know you're replacing the right one.

gdstock 02-11-2012 11:55 PM

ABS light will come on with fault in rear sensor. And did anyone else notice the Nija that HeyYou pulled by posting an answer BEFORE the question again? (post 23)? Freaking me out......

PapaG 02-12-2012 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by gdstock (Post 2716725)
ABS light will come on with fault in rear sensor. And did anyone else notice the Nija that HeyYou pulled by posting an answer BEFORE the question again? (post 23)? Freaking me out......

Not just answering the question, but he's got a quote as well!!

blackbeasst 02-12-2012 01:34 PM

^^ yeah the board was messed up that day. i had the last post at 11:12 but the board was still showing heyyou as the last post. i've seen it happen a couple times where the posts would get crossed up!