2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Interesting Noise under the dash

Old 03-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Total_War
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting Noise under the dash

Hey guys

I've noticed this noise when I start the truck and run around before I parked it for the transmission high shifting and code I mentioned

I got into a good yelling match with the Dealer that sold me the truck and he wanted to take it back off my hands and I said no, just fix the damn Governor Solenoid and Sensor
I had to threaten him with called AMEC or the governing body for giving these guys **** for screwing over customers in Canada
Can't remember what it's called. Then I mentioned lawyer if I had to and he changed his tune real fast
So hes giving me a Third Party warranty for 6 Months on the truck that will cover the bill on this.

Anyways, the noise is coming from under the dash
Sounds like something is trying to move or adjust, makes a kind of stuck noise
Hard to explain honestly, not whining or anything like that
Only way to catch the noise is turn off the radio.

What I have noticed, is if I shut the fan completly off, the sound is gone.
Nothing
Soon as I turn the fan on to any setting for Low or fast blowing, it's there

I'm guessing maybe the blower door is jammed?? But I switch to feet or just the front dash and it works fine. Just that noise is still there
I figure it should be quiet under the dash, no noise.
So i'm not sure, im currently reading through my Chilton/Haynes Manuals, next is the FSM manual to see what it says.

Whats your opinions here guys? All Input is appreciated

Thanks

Last edited by Total_War; 03-11-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:52 PM
jswain
Veteran

Hard to imagine a stuck noise. Stuck would imply no movement, which I'd think would make no noise. You hear the noise only with the fan on, so I'm thinking whatever the noise is has to be in the blower motor itself, its housing/ductwork, or the blend door. If the air inside the ductwork sounds louder than usual, probably a stuck blend door. With the fan wide open, is the air coming out of the vents blowing as strong as it should?

Old 03-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Total_War
Rookie

O yea
When I moved through all the fan speed options it came through normally at the various speeds.
Just makes that noise every 10 seconds I'd say when driving or idleing.
I can try to put my phone to the dash and try catching the noise and post a YouTube video on here. Only noticed it after I fixed the vacuum line on passenger side for Wild Vents Issue. Never heard it before I fixed the vac Line.
Disappears when I turn the fan off competely.
I know for sure the noise is coming from the passenger side.

Only thing I can think of is to rip the under part of the dash off and try finding the noise. Can just imagine what a headache that's going to be, maybe it will be easy

Had to replace a Heater Core at -30c on a Crown Vic and literally had to rip the whole dash apart for me to get at it. Hiding inside a plastic Box. 3 Days of hard work and freezing my butt off LOL

Old 03-11-2012, 11:10 PM
jswain
Veteran

I had to change the heater core on my Ram. Sounds similar to the Crown Vic, whole dash has to come out, or at least the passenger side dash has to pretty much lay in the seat before you can get to the heater core. Might let it idle and get down in the passenger side floorboard and try to narrow down where the sound is coming from. The heater core can make a swishing water sound, the fan motor can make noise if the fan is touching part of its housing. Probably not either of those if it happens at ten second intervals though... Not sure what would make a noise under there in ten second intervals.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:39 AM
Total_War
Rookie

I tried paying through the settings on feet, front, feet/windows

It only does it on A/C, Feet/Front, Windshield Defrost/Feet.
Doesn't do it on any settings for one particular spot
Still working on this

Maybe it's A/C compressor or Door in the dash??
I'm guessing that if A/C is putting out cool air, shouldn't be the compressor
But that's a guess on my part

Ill keep playing settings.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:50 PM
jswain
Veteran

I believe all those settings you mentioned are settings where the AC compressor runs. Compressor runs on all settings with defrost (defrost/floor and defrost), bi-level (floor and dash vents), and of course AC and max AC. May be just your compressor cycling on and off if its a click sound every few seconds. Open the hood and listen and see if its the compressor. If it is the compressor making the sound and the AC blows cold, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Total_War
Rookie

Yea
I can hear something under the hood
But I can hear the noise way better inside the truck vs under the hood
The truck blows out cold air on A/C. Not great cold air but definitely colder than if I didn't turn it on. Probob needs a recharge.
I'll keep an eye on it

Fuel prices jumped 8c a liter last night. Got lucky and found a station at the lower price. Be warned on your end guys that it should be headed your way
Damn BS with Iran and Syria.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:21 PM
legend_5

My Blower makes a noise too and not much air flow from vents when the noise is there. sometimes after make the noise for awhile the fan will stop, no matter the speed setting. Hot, cold, feet, vent defrost all the same noise.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Originally Posted by legend_5
My Blower makes a noise too and not much air flow from vents when the noise is there. sometimes after make the noise for awhile the fan will stop, no matter the speed setting. Hot, cold, feet, vent defrost all the same noise.
Time for a new blower motor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interesting Noise under the dash