2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Air Temp Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 04:04 PM
PapaG
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Temp Sensor

I realize in the grand ole scheme of things this is a minor thing but it's driving me crazy. Been fooling around with my 2001 Ram and my question is about the ambient air temp sensor for the overhead trip computer. My temp reading is -40 which I know means an open circuit. Have looked everywhere under the hood but no temp sensor. Gonna grab a new one and install it but I can't find the wires/plug for it. I have checked the wiring diagram but still can't find the plug/wires. If one of you guys that does have the sensor installed correctly could check and see where the wires run from/ to that would be great. From what I have read it's supposed to be mounted near the hood latch. If someone could let me know where it connects to the wiring harness at I can see if someone just cut the wires there.
Thanks

Old 01-15-2012, 04:12 PM
sam_priem
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the sensor and plugs are right behind the grille next to the driver side headlight. im not sure where it connects to the harness though.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Service manual says it should be on the left radiator support. Two wire connector, Violet/light green, and Black/violet.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Tparkin
Professional

ahh, that's what the extra plug is that's hanging up there on mine....I thought it was for the non-existent factory fog lights.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:55 PM
PapaG
Veteran

Thanks for the response guys but still no luck. Yeah I checked the service manual/wiring diagram originally but the sensor is just not there on my truck. The PO had the truck painted and there were several things that had been moved/unhooked when I got to tinkering around with it. I'm assuming the dumba## that had the truck before just cut the wires because I can't find the plug anywhere. Trying to hunt down where those two particulars wires join the rest of the wiring harness so maybe I can locate them and splice into them. If it comes down to it I can just run new wires all the way to the console but was kinda hoping to avoid all that. Lol

Old 01-15-2012, 06:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

They hit c114 at..... the left radiator support. Not sure if that is actually the connector at the sensor... or what. Diagram isn't real clear on that. Aside from that, you would probably have to start back at the junction block. (fuse box inside the truck.) At the JB, the wires are both in connector 1, pin 2, and 14.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:40 PM
tresvatos
Professional
Default Cant find sensor.....

my temp is putting up crazy readings too.. i CANT find the sensor under the hood to troubleshoot either.. driving me crazy as well just trying to find the thing...?..

Old 04-15-2012, 08:48 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

the sensor is by the radiator at the front of the truck. if your truck has one, its there somewhere unless someone cut it off. check all the wires going to the front. go underneith and check by the horn and the washer fluid tank.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:13 PM
PapaG
Veteran

Yeah the correct "stock" location is up front beside the radiator but that didn't mean thats where it actually is at. I did actually find mine finally a while back and it was actually next to the engine compartment light. Dont know why it was there but took me forever to find it. Try hunting in other areas besides the stock location.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Can you post a pic of what the sensor looks like?

Quick Reply: Air Temp Sensor