2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9L starts and runs, but won't stay running.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:45 PM
Ol_RedRam
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9L starts and runs, but won't stay running.

At first, it wouldn't hardly run at all. I changed the plugs yesterday, so I figured that may have something to do with it. (I don't trust my own work.)

That didn't change anything, so I poured a bit of fuel into the throttle body and tried again. It started up just like normal, ran fine for a second, then spit, sputtered, and clunked back off.

I'm really thinking it's a fuel pump, but like I said, I don't trust myself. And fuel pumps being as costly as they are, I don't want to replace it if it's not necessary.

Any ideas guys?

Old 06-17-2012, 10:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

and of course, being a 97, you don't have the valve for the pressure gauge...... So, six of one, half dozen of the other.... you can either spring for the pump, in the hopes that it fixes it, or, spend a good percentage of the price of the pump, on a gauge and adapters to test the pressure......

Old 06-17-2012, 11:21 PM
Derick C.
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You should be able to hear the fuel pump prime the system when you turn the key to the on position. If you cant hear anything then the pump went south.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.9L starts and runs, but won't stay running.