2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bad performance and click after plenum fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 06:11 PM
googoo1505
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy bad performance and click after plenum fix

Hey guys, kinda in a pickle here. I drive a 98 ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.2 and just got done with new head gaskets, new head bolts, intake bolts,gaskets, header gaskets and headers..im confident that i did it right as far torqueing the bolts in sequence and my job in general. it started up fine and sounded alright for open headers at the time being. after some minor adjustments (thermostat housing gasket and throttle cable) and being the next day, i test dove it and about 2 miles in i start hearing a clicking noise under the hood mainly under acceration. it seems to be comming from the top end. Drove it today for a mile before hearing it. it gets louder with higher rpms.
Also threw a engine code while running open headers yesterday (maybe from 02 sensor?) . Im pretty clueless on what is happening until i get that code, but what if it is 02 sensor. any input is much appreciated. thanks ahead of time

some fyi's
  • 185k miles
  • open headers yesterday not today
  • spark plugs and wires probably original?
  • slight exhuast leak where header meets exhaust
  • in college and funds are thin after my recent repairs
  • only messed with intake manifold ,throttle body, heads,rockers, pushrods, but i know the torques are there
ANy info needed im here to answer for now
troubleshooting tips needed

Old 05-23-2012, 08:37 PM
h0ffers
Amateur

the clicking would be youe exhaust leak... drivers side?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:52 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sct Tuner is good for mods and curing codes !

Old 05-23-2012, 09:30 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK. Replaced head gaskets and put old plugs in?

+1 on exhaust leak. Other members have posted that header bolts can be a PITA.

Check code, but probably O2. Would also make it run pig rich.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:35 PM
Ramzy
Veteran

I am also thinking that your are hearing the exhaust leak. Those can sound like any number of odd ticking and knocking. I would also throw on some new plugs while you are in there though.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:09 PM
h0ffers
Amateur

yea, double up gaskets and spring the extra dollar for some nice ones. thats what i had to do to get it to stop. its the drivers side middle right stud, i cut like a third of it off. also, impossible to get a good grip on that nut to tighten it down.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:46 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get the edelbrock gaskets from autozone. They cost about 25 buchs and are nice and beefy. Thick, and they con;t compress too much that it would cause leaks from overtorquing.

Make sure that you are not overtorquing your bolts. Headers makes it HARD to torque the bolts, so just go nice and snug (Don;t do a chinup on the wrench when torquing them)

Old 05-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lastrights
Sct Tuner is good for mods and curing codes !
Dude are you on seans payroll or something? a tuner aint going to fix whats wrong with his truck.... He has an exhaust leak... likely from the headers he put on... I had the same noise when my old pacesetter cracked...and it caused misfiring and a shudder at 45mph as well as misfire codes..
I recommend indian head gasket shellac.... the stuff works great to prevent leaks down the road...

My stainless headers are quiet under the hood... you should not hear the exhaust noise at the engine unless there,s leaks...if there are, fix them..
I'm curious as to what brand of headers you went with.....
I installed a polished ceramic coated header and exhaust for my vw yesterday and was surprised to see that the "thunderbird" brand was now owned by pertronix as well as the JBA and Dougs brand names.... and they all come from china now ... I thought it was interesting that they could sell me my whole exhaust ceramic coated for $140 but are asking soo much for plain steel headers for our rams.... supply and demand I guess...
I'm happy with my headers on my dodge...no leaks from supplied gaskets either...(also $140)

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 05-24-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:42 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree, the code is probably o2 related since they were not in when the headers were open, and that there is a leak. But, now that they are not open, what exhaust is on it from there back?

Old 05-25-2012, 04:57 PM
googoo1505

it wasnt the exhuast leak, big difference in sound. first time on a pc since i posted but i pulled valve covers and found a loose rocker. thanks for all the imput, new plugs and wires this weekend. i broke two intake manifold bolts in the heads so the machine shop kinda took a good chunk of my budget. thanks tho ppls really appreciate the help

Quick Reply: bad performance and click after plenum fix