2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 03:18 PM
Jmikk
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque converter

So I’m fairly positive my torque converter is going out. My trans is rebuilt, solid firm shifts no slips at all ever. Beautiful daily driver, truck seems to have dropped in power, not anywhere near as peppy as she was 3 months ago, did another tune up, replaced the whole distributor as well with no change. Anyways, what would y’all recommend for a torque converter, something a bit better than stock but still has good manners. Also what should I use to clean any carbon build up on the pistons and valves?

Old 09-08-2019, 03:42 PM
Blayd
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked your cat? If its getting clogged, it could rob your power, especially when trying to put power on....
I know people say Seafoam is good. I've never done it myself.
Talk with your trans guy. May not be the converter at all...if it is, is the rebuild still under warranty?

Old 09-08-2019, 04:52 PM
Jmikk
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blayd
Have you checked your cat? If its getting clogged, it could rob your power, especially when trying to put power on....
I know people say Seafoam is good. I've never done it myself.
Talk with your trans guy. May not be the converter at all...if it is, is the rebuild still under warranty?
Cat slipped my mind, I’ll inspect it for sure. Trans is out of warranty now unfortunately but I’ll talk to him and have him check her out. I used sea foam, didn’t work it’s still crusty in there. I don’t expect sparkling pistons but I’d like to have less build up for sure.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:12 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I like to check the cat by installing a pressure gauge in the O2 sensor hole, start it up and it should read no more than 3 p.s.i., as any reading means there is a clog somewhere.

The following users liked this post:
Jmikk (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 08:58 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

On the "cleaning carbon outta the cylinders" front...I tried, techron, lacquer thinner and water to no result what-so-ever. Ayup, i had the intake influx years back (repaired). I have the ping monster inside my mechanical marvel of fine mexican dodge assemblage and I've done everything from 20 psi stat to the plug wire SB. My cat was hollowed out, bout a year ago n that's when the ping began. My latest attempt at beating this alien creature into submission is an oil catch can. The first sign since adding this "maybe if I'm lucky" trial....my PCV port is no longer ozzing oil into me intake. As far as loss-o-power, I concur with torx. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Torque converter