2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clunking front end and hopping when braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 10:24 AM
leftfield
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking front end and hopping when braking

So here's my problem. Front end was done not that long ago and was recently checked out and couldn't find anything that seemed loose. When I'm coming to a stop there is a little clunk that comes right up to the steering wheel and the same when I hit the gas to take off. I recently did the sway bar links but did not do the bushings. I also bought the new thrust washer for the steering column but haven't installed that yet either. Anybody else have these symptoms. As well when braking on a road that has those micro bumps on it from larger trucks/semi's my front end hops a bit, my shocks aren't that old but could it be that they failed or is there something else going on. Thanks for any input

Old 09-07-2019, 10:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Have a look at the calipers, mounts, bolts, and such. If the bushings are going, they can be a bit sloppy on the mounts, and they will make noise when you apply/release the brakes.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:39 PM
Blayd
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had issues in the past with the front end hopping and wobbling a bit when braking. Turned out to be the stabilizer shock on the front end.

Quick Reply: Clunking front end and hopping when braking