2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gutless on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:15 PM
RageGuy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I adjusted the TV cable 1/4 inch when I got home from work, that seems to have helped a little bit, but not much.

Guess I will save up for gears. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Old 08-01-2012, 09:53 PM
ReadRam
All Star

That's a pretty big adjustment! 2nd to 3rd shift should be between 20 to 30 mph at light throttle. 1/8 in adjustments are recommended or you could burn up tranny. Oh well. Use od off button.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:57 PM
RageGuy
Professional

Originally Posted by ReadRam
That's a pretty big adjustment! 2nd to 3rd shift should be between 20 to 30 mph at light throttle. 1/8 in adjustments are recommended or you could burn up tranny. Oh well. Use od off button.
I started with 1/8 and there was no change at all, did about 1/4 and saw a bit of improvement *Shrug*

Old 08-01-2012, 10:15 PM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RageGuy
I adjusted the TV cable 1/4 inch when I got home from work, that seems to have helped a little bit, but not much.

Guess I will save up for gears. Thanks for the suggestions guys!
The gutless problem you are having is normal with these trucks, huge motor with poor gas mileage and no power. For $265 you can get a SCT tuner, it will reprogram the shift points so that it downshifts sooner without the surge to third gear, but that's about it, won't add any noticeable power, just 20ft lbs of torque will be gain from removing the torque management.
These trucks only have about 205hp at the wheels.
The factory muffler on our trucks is very restrictive. Going up hills was a little better after I changed mine out to a 3" catback.

Agree with doing gears, can be very spendy, that's why I haven't done it yet.
Might as well upgrade the open rear end to limited slip or a locker while you are in there.
If you do gears on the rear without doing the front, better not use 4wheel drive till you get the front done.
Then you need to adjust the speedo, think there's a little gear in the tranny that needs to be changed to match the speedo to the new gear ratio.
If you are planning on getting larger tires you'll want to think about maybe going to 4.56 gears.

Everything I've done to my truck was an attempt to help it get up and go a little better due to the severe lack of power. I should have started with gears, they are just so expensive.
With the Hughes intake and HS valve lifters, 3" cat, I don't notice any difference at all. I'm getting ready to tear down to port and polish the intake and heads, maybe get some valve work done, open up the TB to 50mm too while it's all apart. Hopefully that'll help, but if I was gonna start all over I'd go with gears first.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:12 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I figured out a new mod for our trucks.

Drop in a 440 with a 727 behind it.
3.55 gears won't mean a DAMN thing.

Quick Reply: Gutless on the highway