2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Starter squeals when being turned over every now and then.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 03:16 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 11-24-2012, 10:03 AM
It's Me Patt
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like you're getting a lot a voltage draw when you start her up. You can test the starter motor and also the solenoid but clearly they still work. So something has gotta be up with wiring somewhere. I would take her up to the part store and have them load test the alt and battery too. Check all your connections and grounds as well. Your starter and/or alt could be beating up the battery. So don't assume a test showing a bat close to bad is the only problem. It could be a symptom of another problem. And even if the starter is only three yrs old doesn't mean it's not on it's way out so..As I said in my 1st post starters can easily be rebuilt and I would if it was a top $ one. And testing will tell you what to repair. A cheap one then don't bother...

Last edited by It's Me Patt; 11-24-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Starters are simple to rebuild. I don't bother with buying them from the FLAPS as there is a good chance the unit was repainted rather than rebuilt. They do this if the unit test well.

The Dodge Ram starters were supplied by Nippodenso. There are DIY pages that can assist with this task. I used high temp wheel bearing grease when I rebuild my starter and bought new, heavy duty contacts and a new plunger from Nations Auto Electric.

The price of parts and shipping were more than fair and my rebuilt starter should least *at least* 20 years.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:02 AM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Well when i replaced the starter it was one from O'Reilly Auto Parts if I remember correctly. Ill definitely look at the rebuilding option. But does that grinding squeal sound like only the starter? I have yet to have time to pull it and examine the teeth, but could the voltage draw not be from it binding, if it is? And if teeth are missing or its binding why is it not a continuous whine?

Old 11-24-2012, 11:06 AM
It's Me Patt
Captain

+1 on that..I would never buy a rebuilt or reman starter or alternator..like I said do it yourself and as stated above you can def find DIY info on repair or rebuilding on either one..let us know what's up

Old 11-24-2012, 11:21 AM
It's Me Patt
Captain

the voltage draw could from internal or external wiring either being bad, damaged or loose..again tests on them all should be done to rule in or out any and all issue..and most if not all can be done at yor local part stores

Old 11-24-2012, 12:51 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excess voltage draw could also be caused by axis misalignment (wear in bushings or bearings) causing more load on starter (or any other electric motor, alt, etc.)

Old 11-26-2012, 07:36 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

So i pulled the starter this afternoon. Teeth on both the starter and the fly wheel appear fine. I took some pics. Its dark but its the best i could get. Ill post them here shortly after i get them on my computer. When i buttoned it back up, tried starting it (teeth looked fine when putting back together) and it still squealed. Now im leaning towards the starter going back. The starter wheel will spin in both directions with my fingers. Isnt it supposed to only spin one direction?

Old 11-26-2012, 08:41 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

According to www.aa1car.com it is NOT supposed to rotate in both directions, which would indicate a bad drive.

Quick Reply: Starter squeals when being turned over every now and then.