2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Upgrading Stock Speakers

Old 09-28-2012, 06:01 PM
Brian_
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Stock Speakers

I've been doing some research and have probably been mainly confusing my self. From what I have been searching our trucks come stock with 1inch tweeters, 6x9 front, and 5.25 rear.

I was thinking of making it nice and simple and just going 6.5 all around with the same speaker and 1inch tweeter that way there isn't noticeable differences from separate brand speakers. I know that the 6.5s should fit in the front with a particleboard shaped like the 6x9 with hole in it or brackets. For the rear how would it work out I've read that it just needs raised from the mount?

I have yet to rip any panels off since I'm still in the search phase, I have the tweeters (doesn't say infinity anywhere though), sounds like **** since I think most of it is about dead. I would like to keep the factory head unit and amps for the least amount of headache. Is there wiring adaptors for plug and play like hot/neu or is soldering the best way?

Here is what I have picked and please let me know if there is anything cheaper for bang for buck, or better, with in that range of course. tweeters seemed pricey to me though.

Polk Audio db651s Slim-Mount 6.5" Coaxial Speakers (59.87/pair)
Amazon Amazon

Polk Audio db521 5.25(56.35/pair)
Amazon Amazon

Polk Audio db1001 25mm Silk/Polymer Composite Dome Tweeters (61.99/pair)
Amazon Amazon

Convertible 6 x 9" Speaker Adapter (11.95/pair)
Amazon Amazon

EDIT

I think this is a better stock replacement and cheaper:

Polk db6501, 2 6.5 Component Speakers and 2 25mm Tweeters, and Amps?(114.58/set) (Will that just simply be plug and play?)
Amazon Amazon

Or is it just easier to buy a new head unit, which most are per-amped and bypass the smaller amps?

Maybe somebody can just piece me together a good system for a cheap price, since i have no idea what to even look for. I don't want to add subs, but I do want good bass. I listen to mainly country and hard rock. I do not want to do rewiring! the whole way around the truck.

Last edited by Brian_; 09-29-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Spitfire001

I went thru Crutchfield and got Kickers 6.5" all the way around they include allo the Adapters for free.. I never found a replacemeant for the Infinity tweet so mine are just coax sounds pretty good though

Old 09-28-2012, 07:21 PM
DK-v1
Professional

Speakers are only as good as the head unit pushing them.

If you're going to replace all the speakers, you may as well get a decent head unit.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:06 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also, if you have the infinity sound system...you'll need to either find speakers like the stock ones that have the amps built into them, or you'll need to run a separate amp to power them booyah

Old 09-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Brian_
Captain

Im aware the speakers would be a little underpowered until the head unit would be replaced but would it still be doable?

wjxavier, can i just go through the stock amps to the new speakers?

Old 09-29-2012, 10:39 AM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Brian_
Im aware the speakers would be a little underpowered until the head unit would be replaced but would it still be doable?

wjxavier, can i just go through the stock amps to the new speakers?
no, because the amp and the speaker are one unit. you can't take them apart i believe. i believe they make adapter harnesses for aftermarket speakers (ones without the amps) but i'm not sure if they power the speaker or not. if they dont, then you might wanna start shopping around for a amp. they're not that expensive i think. getting a decent used one shouldnt be a problem

Old 09-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Brian_
Captain

from what i've been reading in other threads they can come off of the stock speaker just need to be remounted.
another question that i have just come up with is; what type of speaker should i be going with component or a coaxial? what is this cross over thing that i have been reading about with the tweeters in the pillars?

Old 09-29-2012, 11:39 AM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

well, i'd definitely like to see that happen, cuz the amps on my speakers, are permanently attached. i'd have to break the old speaker(which i guess doesnt matter anyway) and find a way to attach it to the new one and THEN wire it...i think i'll just stick with my crappy sound system for now, and upgrade later when i get all my mechanical problems fixed lol

Old 09-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Brian_
Captain

yeah here's that thread that i found http://www.********.com/f62/infinity...-replace-8635/ r.a.m.f.o.r.u.m. without the periods

im still confused about this whole damn thing

Last edited by Brian_; 09-29-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:37 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Brian_
yeah here's that thread that i found http://www.********.com/f62/infinity...-replace-8635/ r.a.m.f.o.r.u.m. without the periods

im still confused about this whole damn thing
well i retract my previous statement then. lol however, i have a '95 with infinity speakers, and i didnt see any way to take the amp off. lol so maybe you'll have better luck with your truck. lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgrading Stock Speakers