2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Swapping an '02 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Magnum and auto trans. into a '96 B2500 Ram Van...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 12:48 PM
JC DeSaveur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping an '02 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Magnum and auto trans. into a '96 B2500 Ram Van...

I'm seriously considering this swap and was wondering what all I'll need to change. The 318 in the van is still plugging along at 171,850 miles and counting. The trans was totally rebuilt at 99,998 miles but a kid overheated the **** out of it and while a dropping the pan, changing the filter, adding 4 or 5 quarts of new fluid and a bottle of Lucas Stop Slip (or whatever it's called) has worked so far, I'm guessing it's just a matter of time til it leaves me on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. The engine swap (if I wind up doing it) won't probably happen until the fall but I would tear it down, check everything, probably do new rings, bearings, oil pump, gaskets, etc. Check the heads, maybe get a reground aftermarket cam to add some power, maybe get the intake ported a bit. I would think the 360 would get better mileage in that van as it has more grunt and the van weighs about 7000 pounds (tag says 6800). I'd appreciate any help and advice. One friend (who owns a shop and is a Dodge guy) said do what ya want but I would probably swap the trans when ya have time and then at some point maybe sell the van and get a newer Chevy van with an LS engine. I know it's just a conversion van but I'm pretty partial to the ol gal and she does turn heads

Old 05-29-2017, 03:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

You will need a tune to properly run the bigger motor. If you make changes, such as the cam, you may need a custom tune... (more money) The 02 trans won't play nice with the 96 PCM either, you will need to change the electronics in the trans, along with the retainer for the governor stuff. (changed in 00.)

Old 06-01-2017, 10:37 AM
VanDamage
Default I was aware of having to swap some things in the tranny...

And that doesn't sound like to terrible much work (discussed it with my friend who's a Dodge guy and shop owner). I will look more into the cam and such but I believe Hughes Engines makes grinds that don't require a custom tune. What could I realistically expect for gas mileage from the 360? I usually get anywhere from 14 to 17 with the 318 (once in awhile even more). I've read that the 360 stock for stock against the 318 will typically get a 1.5 mpg better mileage in a van.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:53 AM
Buck4097

Ok, im,sorry to butt in but i am new here and can't figure out how to start a Damn thread.. Can someone help me out before I put dynamite under my dodge and watch it blow? Lol .. No low end power from acceleration-20mph. Thanx in advance

Old 06-01-2017, 11:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by VanDamage
And that doesn't sound like to terrible much work (discussed it with my friend who's a Dodge guy and shop owner). I will look more into the cam and such but I believe Hughes Engines makes grinds that don't require a custom tune. What could I realistically expect for gas mileage from the 360? I usually get anywhere from 14 to 17 with the 318 (once in awhile even more). I've read that the 360 stock for stock against the 318 will typically get a 1.5 mpg better mileage in a van.
The bigger motor will eat more gas, that's a given.... How much more? That is a very good question. My 96 3/4 ton 4x4 got 12-13 around town, and 16-18 on the freeway... Not sure what the weight difference is. Both are about as aerodynamic as a brick.

Originally Posted by Buck4097
Ok, im,sorry to butt in but i am new here and can't figure out how to start a Damn thread.. Can someone help me out before I put dynamite under my dodge and watch it blow? Lol .. No low end power from acceleration-20mph. Thanx in advance
Upper left corner. Just below the "Sub-Forums" section. "New Thread" button. Welcome to DF!

Old 06-09-2017, 03:26 PM
VanDamage
Default Might eat more gas...

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The bigger motor will eat more gas, that's a given.... How much more? That is a very good question. My 96 3/4 ton 4x4 got 12-13 around town, and 16-18 on the freeway... Not sure what the weight difference is. Both are about as aerodynamic as a brick.

Upper left corner. Just below the "Sub-Forums" section. "New Thread" button. Welcome to DF!
The van weighs 6800 pounds empty according to the tag on the door jamb. A friend has an 03 Dodge conversion van (non raised roof though and his might be a 1/2 ton rather than a 3/4 ton like mine. Mine has a 9.25 rear end but how they designate 1/2 ton amd 3/4 tons in these vans is odd). He said he will usually get 17 to 18 mpg on tge highway. I've seen mine get anywhere from 11.5 to almost 21 but it typically gets 14.5 to 17. If anything a 360 SHOULD get better mileage in this application.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The van weighs 6800 pounds empty according to the tag on the door jamb. A friend has an 03 Dodge conversion van (non raised roof though and his might be a 1/2 ton rather than a 3/4 ton like mine. Mine has a 9.25 rear end but how they designate 1/2 ton amd 3/4 tons in these vans is odd). He said he will usually get 17 to 18 mpg on tge highway. I've seen mine get anywhere from 11.5 to almost 21 but it typically gets 14.5 to 17. If anything a 360 SHOULD get better mileage in this application.
I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Bigger motor is thirstier. Still gotta turn the same RPM as the smaller motor for any given speed. I think, if you are really lucky, you'll get the same gas mileage, and a bit more power, but, that's about it.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:06 PM
VanDamage

I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Bigger motor is thirstier. Still gotta turn the same RPM as the smaller motor for any given speed. I think, if you are really lucky, you'll get the same gas mileage, and a bit more power, but, that's about it.
You very well might be right but... in a heavy *** flying billboard like this I would think the tradeoffs/benefits of the bigger and more powerful engine would outweigh 1 possible negative. Even in stock form just going to a 360 gets you an additional 40 to 45 ft. lbs of torque (and most likely at lower and more usable rpm's) and while not to significant, an additional 10 horsepower (at least in the later ones).

Old 06-13-2017, 02:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You very well might be right but... in a heavy *** flying billboard like this I would think the tradeoffs/benefits of the bigger and more powerful engine would outweigh 1 possible negative. Even in stock form just going to a 360 gets you an additional 40 to 45 ft. lbs of torque (and most likely at lower and more usable rpm's) and while not to significant, an additional 10 horsepower (at least in the later ones).
I am always a fan of more power. That's why I bought a V-10 truck. (gas mileage is a lot less of an issue for me, then being able to pull my loaded dump trailer.....)

I think, no matter which way you slice it, 5.2-59 swap is STILL a good upgrade.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:46 AM
VanDamage
Default Agreed

I am always a fan of more power. That's why I bought a V-10 truck. (gas mileage is a lot less of an issue for me, then being able to pull my loaded dump trailer.....)

I think, no matter which way you slice it, 5.2-59 swap is STILL a good upgrade.
Power and mileage both concern to me. When a friend had a 99 or '00 chevy express conversion van, not only was it adequately powered; but it got pretty damn good mileage usually as well. Seemed like you had to try a bit to get much below 17 mpg. Driving it at 70 under the right conditions it would get 18 and 19 mpg... maybe a lil more at times. It had a 18?,??? miles when he bought it and it ran like a champ. It had a 5.7L Vortec in it.