2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ignition dead short kills AC

Old 09-04-2005, 05:09 PM
ElChupacabra
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition dead short kills AC

My ac went out so I took it to the shop. They fixed it (it was the ignition fuse, it popped which turned off the AC and the compass/outside thermometer.) When I got in, it was not cooling, so I went in and got the guy and he came out and the fuse had popped again (he said it ran fine for 30 minutes before.) He pulled the 10amp fuse and put a 20 amp in and it was on again. By the time I made 2 turns, that fuse had popped. They said it is going to be a dead short in the something in that power line. It stands to reason to me that what is causing the pop is when the steering wheel is turned (it ran fine until they took it outside and parked it, then it ran fine until I pulled out of the parking lot and turned.) After I disconnect the battery and get the appropriate torx to take the cover off the steering column (I can't figure out how to get the horn cover/air bag off), what should I look for? I can't afford to pay $65/hour for them to hunt it down. My power seat had stopped working and that was the problem, the wires under the seat had worn through. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignition dead short kills AC