2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weirdest grinding noise ever..

Old 11-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weirdest grinding noise ever..

Okay guys so I have a noise that i can't figure out and can't find research on. I am hoping you guys can help.

So.. When I shift from drive to neutral or drive to park I hear a grinding noise and the lights dims but here is the weirdest part.. It only does it with my headlights on..? If I have my lights off it doesn't do it. The truck used to do it about 6 months ago and at the same time my remote start would not work. Then it disappeared and no noise when shifting and remote start worked again. And it started again last week and no remote start again either. Obviously this is a wiring issue but where should I start? Sounds like a grind wire maybe but never heard anything like it.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:19 AM
newman1367
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thornloe Pride
Okay guys so I have a noise that i can't figure out and can't find research on. I am hoping you guys can help.

So.. When I shift from drive to neutral or drive to park I hear a grinding noise and the lights dims but here is the weirdest part.. It only does it with my headlights on..? If I have my lights off it doesn't do it. The truck used to do it about 6 months ago and at the same time my remote start would not work. Then it disappeared and no noise when shifting and remote start worked again. And it started again last week and no remote start again either. Obviously this is a wiring issue but where should I start? Sounds like a grind wire maybe but never heard anything like it.
I would remove the remote start controller first and see what happens. Was it a plug in install or splice into wiring with scotch locks? Controller may be screwy and is engaging the starter when you shift out of drive.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^ditto what smart guy suggested.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well what do ya know.. Completely disconnected the remote start and now it doesn't do it. I can't believe I never realized this was the problem.. I assume whatever the problem was was messing up my remote starter.. I never thought that the remote starter was the actual problem. Thanks a bunch guys I really appreciate it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weirdest grinding noise ever..