2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Death wobble info from chrysler

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 07:21 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Death wobble info from chrysler

Most of us know what to look for , but Chrysler just put out a TSB on the issue for vehicles (jeep mainly) but any with solid front axles. As some of you may know, I just installed a Red-Head steering box(and it's awesome) But, just the other day I was on the highway and hit an older bridge expansion joint. Well let me say, it was no fun. (my first experience with death wobble). All my steering components seem to be fine , so I don't know what the deal is, but, here is the news , that just happened to be on Fox news online today.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...ntcmp=features

Old 08-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It wobbled with the new Redhead box? What type of steering stabilizer are you running?

Old 08-10-2012, 07:49 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by Jimythefan
It wobbled with the new Redhead box? What type of steering stabilizer are you running?
It's the factory stabilizer right now, But I drove the same route on the highway for 2 weeks without a problem. I have a new stabilizer (that I've had for a year). Maybe I'll put it on and see what happens. All I know is, that is scared the crap out of me. LOL

Old 08-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, it's pretty unnerving when it sets in. I had an '87 K20 that did it once. Turned out the stabilizer was shot even though it wasn't leaking. Put on a heavier duty unit and it went away. Of course it still wandered all over the road till I replaced the box with an AGR unit.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:19 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I have it currently but my stabilizer is shot...if my truck hits a bump hold on...but ive run it like that for a year now

Old 08-10-2012, 11:29 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
I have it currently but my stabilizer is shot...if my truck hits a bump hold on...but ive run it like that for a year now
Post a pic of your truck so i know to stay the hell away from you. Fix that **** man.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Ramingo
Rookie

OMG Just came back to the site after 3 months trying to fight this death wobble.. First thing, my truck is a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 Off Road 5.9L.

It all started 5 years ago, i would only get the death wobble at over 70mph if i where to hit something on the road. The problem got worse this year, once i sped over 55mph and hit a bridge join, crack on the road etc, the death wobble would occur.

Just these last three months got even worse, so i decided to replace all 4 ball joints since the lower were shot, which only lasted wobble free for two weeks.

I now decided to replace any tie rod or link that might be bad. I ended out replacing the entire suspension; Drag link, center link, tie rods and i still got that dam wobble at after 30mph..

I know went on to inspect the power steering gear box, which wasnt leaking or in fault. I rebuilt the Gearbox, and powersteering pump. I installed the power steering system back on and still had that Death Wobble GRrrr... But now i think i must of not assembled or ajusted the gearbox correcrtlly since it is really hard to steer/ turn..

I need help with the Gear Box...Iv never asked for help and feel like a moron now. i did notice that i had inserted a valve backwards in the Pump, but fixed it and had negative results. I also adjusted the Gear box from the top cap adjuster, and the steer shaft washer, which also had negative results..

My Gear box was cherry i feel like and idiot that i had taken it apart, i replaced all seals and bearings for nothing or worse.. HELP lol..

oh next thing to do is rotate the tires and adjust all the caster fw. Oh what to you recomend for a Gearbox?

Last edited by Ramingo; 09-25-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:32 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

My opinion on steering stabilazers; their sole purpose is to keep steering wheel hitting your fingers if you hit curb or a rock. Last spring I had a massive DW experience w/ 37" Creepys. There were two reasons for it; wobbly wheels and tons of toe-in (because of leveling blocks). First was cured by switching wheels between the axles, and second just by adjusting toe to about zero. No DW. I had removed stabilazer earlier because it had leaked empty. Only time I missed it was on a trail, steering wheel was hard on me when I drove over the rocks.

If everything is tight and straight, it's not needed other than keeping your fingers safe. It does help with DW, but it's no cure, just a cover for actual probem.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:01 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Old 10-04-2012, 05:13 PM
charmed
Amateur

Damn, what the hell was that ! ? I just came back from test drive on project truck and for the first time got it over 65 mph on a bumpy road. Th Death Wobble came up and bit me ! scared the poo out of me. Then I came back to this forum and discover it has a NAME ! I'll have to get the front wheels off the ground and see what it looks like under there. I could see one front shock is leaking and the stab-shock is leaking. I wondered why this old truck had new tires on it.

Quick Reply: Death wobble info from chrysler