2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

weird cranking issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 08:00 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have an extra coil you can throw in there? Also 39 psi on fuel is about 10 psi low.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:05 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already tried another coil i had laying around but it was pretty beat up and i still no change. I tried to use the coil off my 01 but the plug on it is different so a no go there. I know that 39 is about 10 low, but i have also heard that 40 is acceptable. But it only holds 39 for a second or two then drops to 35 psi. I am going to change the fuel pump as a last resort cause it should be able to run and idle at that 35 psi and I need to focus on the no spark issue.

I have about $100 i can spend on this thing tomorrow but thats all. So first thing is to get a good battery cause the one i got is junk, no CCA. And hope that i only have to replace either, coil, cam sensor, or crank sensor cause that will max me out.

Also i should get spark still with the fuel pump fuse pulled correct?

Old 11-23-2012, 08:11 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
I have about $100 i can spend on this thing tomorrow but thats all. So first thing is to get a good battery cause the one i got is junk, no CCA. And hope that i only have to replace either, coil, cam sensor, or crank sensor cause that will max me out.

Also i should get spark still with the fuel pump fuse pulled correct?

A battery will blow $100 by itself!

And spark should be good regardless of fuel pump issue. Weak spark can be coil, wires. rotor or cap, or Crank sensor. BUt a weak battery can cause slo cranking and other issues. Can you swap battery to check before having to buy one?

Old 11-23-2012, 08:15 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

I can swap but i know my battery is ****. I was going to go to pick n pull and buy a $22 battery. Its kinda "the luck of the draw" buying a junk yard battery but i will keep the receipt and keep taking it back until i get a good one if i have too. There is also a place in town here were i can buy a new $50 battery.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:19 PM
gdstock
Legend

No sush cheap battery source here for me! I would take it home and charge it up and then to parts store to have it checked. May as well kno you have a good one even if it is cheap!

And I am considering getting a new coil to keep in the cabinet jsut in case. Never know when one may come in handy.

Last edited by gdstock; 11-24-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:23 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

I need to read up how to check the coil. I will pocket a couple while im at the junkyard and test them all to see which ones are good.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:49 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
So i hooked up a fuel pressure gauge this evening and found that my fuel pressure is actually low. It peaks at 39 psi and then drops to 35 and holds at 35. So it doesnt seem to be a fuel issue. But it is still hard to crank with the fuel pump running. I know 35 psi is a lil low but it should be enough to get it to run, and right now i cant get it to start.

So i decided to check for spark. At first i got some spark at the plug, but it was weak. Then it went away all together. So it appears maybe i had a weak spark issue that has turned into no spark. I am going to check for power at the coil tomorrow and for spark out of the coil. I am also going to pick up a better battery. If im not getting spark at the coil then im going to assume that either may cam position sensor or my crank sensor is bad. I will look at the FSM tonight to see if there is a way to test them.

I checked all my grounds and added some new ones, 1 rather large one. Ive got one from the back of each head to the body, one from altenator to bracket, two from the power steering pump bracket (one of wich goes back to battery), 1 large one from battery to body, and one from body to altenator bracket. That should be plenty. I even tried adding one to the coil bracket but still no spark.

Hopefully i can get some help tomorrow so i will have someone to crank while i check the coil for power and spark. I went ahead and cut the exhaust off just before the muffler to rule out a clogged exhaust, turns out it has no cat, or o2 sensors. Shouldnt the '95 have 1 o2 sensor? The gas in the tank is also turned south on me, looks like yellow ****, only a few gallons worth. So I will pick up 10 gallons of 93 to add in there and hopefully give me a decent enough fuel to burn, though it was running on whats in there now a couple of days ago.
It should have one o2 upstream of where the cat would be. It should start w/o a o2 albeit it would be running in loop mode, so you would want to get the o2 on there.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:30 PM
ReadRam
All Star

I think you can use multi meter ,ohm setting... should be about..damn can't remember, but 13,000 ohm from top terminal to outer winding, or to one of the small spades where harness plugs in. Anyway you should be able to check before pulling and paying. primary resistance =1 ohm , secondary resistance 12,700 ohms. 25 to 35 bucks new. Pocket=free

Last edited by ReadRam; 11-24-2012 at 03:49 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:13 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

looks like im not getting power to the coil. from my research this means that the PCM is bad. I am correct? does the coil get its feed directly from the PCM? I really cant afford to buy a PCM right now....

Old 11-24-2012, 05:36 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty much... There is a wiring harness but chances are slim that that went bad. I will PM you about a PCM.

Quick Reply: weird cranking issue