2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2nd to 3rd transmission slip?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 04:57 PM
lrkellogg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd to 3rd transmission slip?

When my automatic 46re transmission shifts from 2nd to 3rd it is almost like it takes an extra second or two to shift...idk if it is slipping but a transmission shop said that it seemed almost like it was wanting to shift back down into 2nd gear. Anybody else ever had this problem...Any ideas on what it could be? The transmission shifts good through all other gears and doesnt clunk or lurch when initially put into drive or reverse. Do you think that it is going to require a rebuild based just on the 2nd to 3rd hiccup?

Btw: 101,000 miles on it and I added some lubeguard red to it recently. Oh and no check engine light being shown.

Thanks guys

Old 11-26-2012, 05:51 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your throttle valve cable before doing anything else. If it is out of adjustment, it could cause you problems.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:24 PM
lrkellogg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might add, that in the mornings when cold; after first setting out on the road, it is prolonged as in it takes about 2-3 seconds to lock into 3rd gear. After that with regular driving, sometimes it "slips" for a second, and other times it shifts smooth as can be....Hmmmmmmm.

Quick Reply: 2nd to 3rd transmission slip?