DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   How do i get the air out of my new power steering box/ PS fluid cooler (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/349342-how-do-i-get-the-air-out-of-my-new-power-steering-box-ps-fluid-cooler.html)

MudFlavoredRAM 02-20-2013 07:17 PM

How do i get the air out of my new power steering box/ PS fluid cooler

Just got a new AGR Super Box 1 and there's still air in the dam system.. What the heck do I gotta do to get it out....and my lines shouldn't be leaking because the fluid isn't foaming...I'm completely stumped. Do i have to turn it left and right more that 40 times? I need guidance :(

kejobe 02-20-2013 08:50 PM

Turn lock to lock several times while holding it at each lock for a few seconds.

Turn to lock and hold, turn other way to lock and hold, repeat.

aim4squirrels 02-20-2013 09:53 PM

Lock to lock is how i do it too. Keep in mind, if there was air in there, the pump will mix the air into the fluid and run it through the system. It may take a while to work it out.

HeyYou 02-20-2013 10:28 PM

Jack up the front end. (just enough to get the tires off the ground.) Then make sure fluid level is where it should be. Start engine, turn lock to lock several times. Check fluid. Full of air bubbles? Shut off engine, and let it sit for a while. Repeat until the fluid isn't frothy. Top it off, and you are done.

MudFlavoredRAM 02-21-2013 11:12 AM

Thanks for all your help guys. I've been doing the front end off the ground and turning all the way left and right BUT with the engine off. Is that the reason it hasn't got all the air out yet is because I've been doing it the whole time with the engine off? " Hey You" what do u think, since your the first person who has told me to do it with the engine on. At first it barely wanted to turn ( with engine on and tires on the ground). Then I jacked the front end up ( engine off) and cycled back and forth about 20 times. That gave me about another 3/4 more turn in both directions (with engine on and tires on ground) but it still jams up and makes funky ass noises. I know it has to be air trapped in there that's making it not wana turn. What is the best next move?

MudFlavoredRAM 02-21-2013 11:13 AM

And i dont have hydroboost

HeyYou 02-21-2013 11:42 AM

I do the bleed thing with the tires off the ground for a couple reasons, first and foremost, you aren't grinding a flat spot on the bottom of the tires, cycling them back and forth like you would with the weight on them. Have to have the engine running, otherwise, the fluid isn't circulating as it should. Having it off the ground makes the initial bleed MUCH easier.....

It will take a couple cycles to get the fluid to stop foaming up. Once you can turn the wheels from lock to lock smoothly, and no more frothy p/s fluid, should be golden. Process takes a bit, simply because you have to wait at least a half hour between cycles, for the air bubbles to come out of the fluid in the reservoir. Just keep at it, it will clear up, and most of the noises should go away. :)

kejobe 02-21-2013 06:13 PM

As stated, engine running. I had assumed it was known.

Aubrey 02-22-2013 11:48 AM

Mud, you will likely need to do it more than the reco 40 times. Also, it could still be sucking some air in at a connection even though it isn't showing a fluid leak.

MudFlavoredRAM 02-22-2013 12:05 PM

Alright awesome...thx everyone, the info was really appreciated. She's up and running like new :-)...Ready to go WHEELIN !