2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

overdrive and TCC lockup

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 11:55 PM
TheBigRedTruck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea im afraid ur right. idk where to start. o/d solenoid?

Old 03-21-2013, 12:10 AM
ReadRam
All Star

Originally Posted by gdstock
You have it backwards. The first drop is TCC lockup, the second one is OD.
So the TCC is slipping some after it shifts into 3rd gear at approximately 30 mph, until it locks up at about 42 to 45 mph, then finally OD at 50mph? Would it be best to leave OD off if driving speeds are mostly around 40mph, city driving? When it's not locked it produces more heat, correct? I am assuming the TCC also locks in 3rd if OD button is off. Thanks for your patience, just trying to understand if this is normal for the 5.2, after driving a 5.9 for 13 years. I know the torque converters are different between the two engine sizes.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:41 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Fwiw I put some of your numbers into a little calculator and came up with this.

@55mph in 3rd rpm should be 2074, in OD rpm should be 1431.

Under 50mph I never use OD, yes TTC lock up will happen with OD off.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:12 AM
ReadRam
All Star

Thanks, it's clearer now.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:08 PM
TheBigRedTruck
Veteran

yea ur right. for me after 50mph i stay in the same gear, so rpms climb with mph. sucks

Old 03-21-2013, 03:38 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotta love those shifts points!

I was curious to see how fast I go could in 2nd, stopped at 70mph, just a tad over 4k RPMs..

Old 03-21-2013, 05:48 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using a light foot mine will shift into O/D at 30 and lockup @ 42.
96 318, 3.55 rear, 265 70x16 tires.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:51 PM
TheBigRedTruck
Veteran

damn....u know how they say 0-60 time? well ill never know mine......

Old 03-22-2013, 01:24 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Here is some information on the lock up circuit. Remember that these and all dodge transmission also have a parcel torque converter lock up too.

DESCRIPTION
The torque converter (Torque Converter Assembly) is a hydraulic device that couples the engine crankshaft to the transmission. The torque converter consists of an outer shell with an internal turbine, a stator, an overrunning clutch, an impeller and an electronically applied converter clutch. The converter clutch provides reduced engine speed and greater fuel economy when engaged. Clutch engagement also provides reduced transmission fluid temperatures. The torque converter hub drives the transmission oil (fluid) pump.

The torque converter is a sealed, welded unit that is not repairable and is serviced as an assembly.

CAUTION: The torque converter must be replaced if a transmission failure resulted in large amounts of metal or fiber contamination in the fluid. If the fluid is contaminated, flush the all transmission fluid cooler(s) and lines.

IMPELLER
The impeller (Impeller) is an integral part of the converter housing. The impeller consists of curved blades placed radially along the inside of the housing on the transmission side of the converter. As the converter housing is rotated by the engine, so is the impeller, because they are one and the same and are the driving members of the system.

TURBINE
The turbine (Turbine) is the output, or driven, member of the converter. The turbine is mounted within the housing opposite the impeller, but is not attached to the housing. The input shaft is inserted through the center of the impeller and splined into the turbine. The design of the turbine is similar to the impeller, except the blades of the turbine are curved in the opposite direction.

STATOR
The stator assembly (Stator Components) is mounted on a stationary shaft which is an integral part of the oil pump. The stator is located between the impeller and turbine within the torque converter case (Stator Location). The stator contains an over-running clutch, which allows the stator to rotate only in a clockwise direction. When the stator is locked against the over-running clutch, the torque multiplication feature of the torque converter is operational.

TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH (TCC)
The TCC (Torque Converter Clutch (TCC)) was installed to improve the efficiency of the torque converter that is lost to the slippage of the fluid coupling. Although the fluid coupling provides smooth, shock-free power transfer, it is natural for all fluid couplings to slip. If the impeller and turbine were mechanically locked together, a zero slippage condition could be obtained. A hydraulic piston was added to the turbine, and a friction material was added to the inside of the front cover to provide this mechanical lock-up.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:33 AM
ReadRam
All Star

All I know is my high mileage 99 with the 5.9 will out perform my 01 with the 5.2.and the 99 usually has 1000lbs of cargo. For example, if already going 55mph in OD, my 5.9 will get to 75mph a lot quicker and without downshifting than my 5.2 with no load. I didn't think there would be that much difference because of the mileage difference. Will have to get used to hitting the OD off button. Oh well, live and learn. There always shorty headers, right?

Quick Reply: overdrive and TCC lockup