2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

In need of some direction on a stuck clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:25 AM
RobertDickey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In need of some direction on a stuck clutch issue

I installed a clutch kit and new slave cylinder in my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L V8. I replaced it because the slave failed while shifting into 5th gear on the free way resulting in the clutch going to the floor......After the work was completed and the process of bleeding the new slave was done the clutch pedal still felt soft and on the floor.....I was able to drive the vehicle and shift gears fine however the truck would lurch when starting out in forward or reverse. Two days later while driving the vehicle on the freeway I was unable to press the clutch in at all.......I did not try to force the pedal but did give it some pressure to see if it would move but it doesnt......Can anyone help me figure out why this could be happening
Thanks

Old 04-12-2013, 09:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Something isn't quite right. Crawl under there, and have a look. I suspect the fork separated from the throwout bearing..... and is now jammed.

Bleeding those is notoriously difficult. You are trying to force air to go DOWN thru a fluid. It really doesn't want to......

Old 04-12-2013, 04:29 PM
RobertDickey

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Something isn't quite right. Crawl under there, and have a look. I suspect the fork separated from the throwout bearing..... and is now jammed.

Bleeding those is notoriously difficult. You are trying to force air to go DOWN thru a fluid. It really doesn't want to......
Thanks for the advice.....Just got out from under truck and definitely found an issue with the fork.....Not real excited about having to pull the tranny again.....When I replaced the clutch kit I replaced the retaining clip for the fork so what else could cause the fork to come off.....This was also the problem that caused me to change the clutch in the first place.....Thanks for your help as I have no mechanical knowledge and limited funds so I have to make the repairs my self

Old 04-12-2013, 05:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Sometimes, getting the fork on to the clip correctly, and keeping it there.... while installing the trans can be.... erm..... fun..... You MIGHT be able to deal with it without dropping the trans, but, not sure on that.... I have an auto. Best bet would be to pull the slave, whatever boots/covers happen to be around, and have a look, see what ya got. Take it from there.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:07 PM
jmbishop
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou

I bled the clutch in mine today after installing a new mc. It was the easiest one I've ever done. Gravity does all the work in the mc and hose. I made sure the slave was full and pushed the piston in as I reconnected it.

Quick Reply: In need of some direction on a stuck clutch issue