DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Will my stock 1995 Ram 2500 fit 33's? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/353406-will-my-stock-1995-ram-2500-fit-33s.html)

stewie01 04-21-2013 03:54 PM

It's hard to give honest assessments of an automatic transmission when it's a DODGE automatic transmission.

Wh1t3NuKle 04-21-2013 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by stewie01 (Post 3004877)
It's hard to give honest assessments of an automatic transmission when it's a DODGE automatic transmission.

When you've only dealt with one, which I think you have, then that's all you have to go on. You've treated yours like a wheel barrow. ;) It all goes back to maintenance and the demand put on it.

Granted I do think some ppl have more bad luck then others.

My tranny, knock on wood will die now b/c of what I'm about to say, is original to fluid/filter change since I've owned it and no check valve delete. Not a wimper or an issue in what I've treated it with.

Real easy to give honest assessment and it's not the only one I've messed with. People that have had their own hands inside one (e.g., gdstock, monteC, etc.) have much better ideas on the autos on what the limiting components are. Same can be said for the nv4500s, they have quirks too.

stewie01 04-21-2013 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle (Post 3004893)
When you've only dealt with one, which I think you have, then that's all you have to go on. You've treated yours like a wheel barrow. ;) It all goes back to maintenance and the demand put on it.

Granted I do think some ppl have more bad luck then others.

My tranny, knock on wood will die now b/c of what I'm about to say, is original to fluid/filter change since I've owned it and no check valve delete. Not a wimper or an issue in what I've treated it with.

Real easy to give honest assessment and it's not the only one I've messed with. People that have had their own hands inside one (e.g., gdstock, monteC, etc.) have much better ideas on the autos on what the limiting components are. Same can be said for the nv4500s, they have quirks too.

Yes this is my first Dodge and first Dodge automatic transmission. It was rebuilt before I got it and I've worked, played, and abused it and while it's no secret I've had issues and still have a quirk to figure out it's been fairly solid.

No check valve delete here either...

CSCustomCars 04-21-2013 05:41 PM

Manual's are pretty hard to come by in my area and when it comes to my truck, I don't really prefer one over the other.
However, my car is a stick and any car I own will forever be a stick.

Wombat Ranger 04-21-2013 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle (Post 3004874)
You are so holyier than though when comes to talk about trannies. :icon_tongue:

Wonder why many of the ultra4 guys run automatics???

2013 Highlights: Griffin King of the Hammers Presented by Nitto Tire - YouTube

Plenty of people blow up NV4500 trannies. In stock flavors and from the stuff I've seen upfront and had my hands on, a good comparison would be done b/t a nv4500 (460 ft-lb input rating) and perhaps 47re (450 ft-lb input rating). Pretty unfair to compare to a 46re. For sure swapping a nv4500 to a half ton drivetrain will be the stronger. :icon_tongue:

Automatics still suck.

Gord. 04-26-2013 02:29 PM

I would agree with Wombat.

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle (Post 3004874)
Plenty of people blow up NV4500 trannies. In stock flavors and from the stuff I've seen upfront and had my hands on, a good comparison would be done b/t a nv4500 (460 ft-lb input rating) and perhaps 47re (450 ft-lb input rating). Pretty unfair to compare to a 46re. For sure swapping a nv4500 to a half ton drivetrain will be the stronger. :icon_tongue:

An NV4500 may not be a far comparison to a 46re, but how about the NV3500 (300 ft-lb input rating)? It's rated low enough that dodge didn't put them behind the 360 (for the most part, i have heard of one such truck) but have stood up to plenty of abuse behind 318s and 360s, including some with turbos, Hans5.2 for example. Mine is behind a stock 5.2, but has been worked hard for over 300,000 miles.

Gord.