2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

So many noises!?!?!

Old 03-28-2013, 01:43 PM
wtfwhosmike
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So many noises!?!?!

Hello all, spent a long time searching the forums here. Got alot of useful tips along the way. Long story short just bought a 98 ram 1500 2x4. Truck was clean, just over 104k. This is my first truck and am a bit out of my element here. I recorded a short video under the hood and was hoping yall could help me discover the source of the noises.... I've taken it to a few backyard mechanics (really all I have around here) and they all seem to day something different. Any help from the community here would be greatly appreciated. Here is the link to the video

Old 03-28-2013, 01:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Little bit of valve noise?

Old 03-28-2013, 02:30 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would clean off the oil around valve covers and pul them off. Make sure rockers are tightend to spec. (Valve cover bolts on these engines tend to loosen anyway.) Torque rockers to spec (can't remember how much) and then put covers back on. See if that helps. Also betting PCV is clogged. Then remove TB and look inside at plenum. See sticky at top.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:47 PM
wtfwhosmike

I'll look into the valves. Plenum plate and gasket were replaced days after buying the truck

Old 03-28-2013, 02:58 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

First let's clean up those spark-plug wires, route as per the tsb they are a tangled mess. Sounds lot's like lifter noise to me. Give it a full oil change using a 10w30 dino oil see if that helps.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:24 AM
wtfwhosmike

ok so I have cleaned up the wiring, done the full oil change and I am not seeing any real resolution to the knocking noise. I have noticed it seems to be louder when idling with the truck in gear (red light, drive thru etc) but if I put the truck in park its far less noticeable. Going to look into the valves this weekend. Any one else with an idea of where I should be looking. Fairly nee to the DIY stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So many noises!?!?!