2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

318 running rough cant track it down!!

Old 04-23-2013, 01:05 AM
Crossmaster567
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 318 running rough cant track it down!!

So. Farely new here but use the forums often. Ill start by being honest. Last Thursday I brought my pickup off road and made the mistake of getting her pretty wet •__•. She ended up dieing on the trail but she fired back up and ever since then she's been giving me issues. I've watched all sorts of you tube videos and been on every forum Ive seen and still can't figure it out. As a mechanic I figured no problem. Check all the fluids and let her dry out. No. Hah. She idles rough but only when she at running temperature. Same with going down the road. Once she's warm there's no good power. She'll just buck and pop and fall on its face unless I throw it in Mistral and give it to her. The idle is sporadic at times. I first though it was the IAC and replaced it. No difference. So I went and did the intake gaskets coolant sensor's mechanical oil pressure gauge. Cleaned the TB and the intake, oil change. Checked every plug in for proper voltage and I checked all fuses. Checked every vacume line and checked for leaks and nothing. Maybe I got water in my tank? Coil? I've got a new coil I'm replacing tomorrow but Jeeze. Mind boggled. Even has a nearby shop look at it and they were stumped.
Also, she's running very rich. Which doesn't help any.

DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO! I've done everything I can think of but take a fuel sample and change the coil. Everything I did such as the gaskets and sensors. The gaskets looked pretty bad anyway and I ran into a broken temp sensor. If anyone have any ideas feel free to share!!

Old 04-23-2013, 02:07 AM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Bad o2 sensor and clogged cat come to mind, considering your plenum was blown. By "replacing the intake gaskets" I hope you also replaced the plenum pan with a hughes/ebay replacement.

May have water under dist cap too. Hopefully the coil does the trick.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Crossmaster567

Cats gutted. And I did do the Plenum gasket while I was in there. And I just had a code for bank one to rich. So my o2 is working I believe.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Running rich will give you some odd running issues.

Since this all started after it got wet, have you check the connectors at the PCM? They like to corrode in any event...

Check and see if coil is putting out a consistent spark. Just stick a plug into the coil wire, ground it where you can see it good, and have someone crank the engine. Spark should be strong (blue) and consistent. if it isn't, try replacing coil, if that makes no difference, replace crank sensor.

May not hurt to pull fuel line at rail, and capture some gas in a clear container. Let is sit for a few minutes, and see if there is any water in it.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:29 PM
Crossmaster567

So. This morning I replaced the coil. Not much improvement if any. I tested the gas for water and it looks fine. Checked the plugins for my pcm. Cleaned them (even though they looked fine). I don't know what else to do here!! Still falling on her face and popping goin down the road. AHHHHH!!

Old 04-23-2013, 02:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Test spark.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Crossmaster567

From one if the plug wires?

Old 04-23-2013, 02:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Coil wire. See my previous post.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:08 PM
Crossmaster567

Ok. Tested spark. When I hold the wire far enough away the coil will just arc out on itself. But it won't arc toout the wire until the boot is almost touching the coil. Normal? I would think it would be stronger

Old 04-23-2013, 03:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Stick a spark plug in the coil wire, and ground it somewhere. (don't hold it with your hand....) have someone else crank the engine, see what it looks like. Each spark should look the same. Same color, strength, etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 318 running rough cant track it down!!