2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Think I have a small coolant leak-do you trust any of those sealants?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 04:48 PM
baradonai
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I have a small coolant leak-do you trust any of those sealants?

Hi all,
I have a 1994 5.2 1500 with 140k miles. I bought it a year and a half ago from an older guy who only sporadically dove it the last 5-6 years. I drive it mostly on weekends or to work when my car is down.

Couple months ago I noticed a chocolate milk foam on the dipstick and a little foam floating in the coolant at the top of the radiator. I drained the oil and it looked fine. The truck runs good. I'm guessing I've probably got a small head gasket leak?

I really don't have the money to pay to have it fixed nor the space to do it myself. I have seen things to put in your radiator to seal leaks. Anyone use these and do they work? Am I screwed or can I get some more mileage out of this engine before I have to have it gone over or replaced?

Thanks.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:10 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't risk it. Leak sealers are useless.

IMO, either fix it right, or sell the truck and cut your losses.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:26 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^+1. They may work for awhile (if they work at all) but the leak will come back just as bad as it was to start with.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:19 PM
98Ram5.9Sport
Rookie

My dad ran an old Ford station wagon for years on stopleak but it was the radiator not the head gasket. In my experience there isn't a quick fix for a head gasket. I agree with dodge dude, have it fixed the right way or sell it.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

The stop leak products will not work on a head gasket leak. I am going to guess that what you have is cracked heads...... replacement is about the only option on that motor. Other alternative would be to get a junkyard motor installed. Either way isn't going to be exactly cheap.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:59 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'll go the other way...

lots of chocolate milk/brown crap in the oil would be coolant mixing in from a head gasket or intake gasket or cracked head. however - a small amount at the top of the dipstick on an infrequently driven car might be condensation.

i'd change the oil and watch it. when you do drive it - try to drive it enough that it gets up to operating temp and stays there long enough to evaporate off any condensation. also drain/flush the coolant. there are 2 block drain plugs hiding behind the engine mounts.

just for a good evaluation of the engine - you can rent a compression tester at your local parts store and check for major problems. a coolant leak and a compression leak sometimes go together, but be aware that they can also be completely separate.

if you determine that it is a head gasket leak, you can try a head gasket sealer. its a liquid glass type stuff you pour in the radiator and it seals up high temperature leaks. sometimes it works. if it doesn't - you're only out a few bucks and you're not any worse off than your were.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...sket+stop+leak

Last edited by dhvaughan; 05-10-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:07 PM
SilverSS
Captain

A friend of mine used this stuff on a head gasket leak and said it actually worked.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...vil#fragment-3

I have no first hand experience with it and would be skeptical myself but he used it a few years ago and is still driving his truck. I've used other products made by the same company before and had good luck with them. I think they have a $ back guarantee on it also.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:07 PM
baradonai
Default Thanks everyone

Boy dhvaughan I hope you're right. Just drove it 200 miles today on a hunting trip and it ran fine. Had to top off the radiator before I left this morning but oil pressure and temps were good whole day. I'll see if I can get a pressure tester next weekend and see if there's any clue there.

Quick Reply: Think I have a small coolant leak-do you trust any of those sealants?