2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Big problems "no bus"

Old 05-12-2013, 01:33 PM
TraceB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big problems "no bus"

I've had the no bus issue for about two months now. It will drive fine but as soon as it Gets up to temptature it just locks up, dies, and refuses to start. I've tried doing what the other threads say to do but do so far nothing has worked. It was with a mechanic for a couple weeks and he thought it was the coil packs and he replaced them. I drove it halfway home and pushed the rest... I'm graduating high school soon and am planning on getting rid of the truck, at this point I'm hoping its anything other than the PCM. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be going on? Truck is a 2000 5.9 4x2

Old 05-12-2013, 02:04 PM
abdodge1500
Professional

my truck is having the same issue right now but not to the point that it shuts off, it had been throwing no bus at me on and off for about a week so I posted on this forum (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-go-again.html) here's the link. I took it to the dealer, they scanned it and said a wire running into the PCM got wet from rain water due to the fact that the seal on the cowl that prevents water from doing this was missing, so they are replacing the wire and seal right now and I hope that fixes it

Old 05-12-2013, 08:03 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

trace - when the truck gets the "no bus" combined with shutting off, it might be the crank position sensor. i don't know why, but a lot of people seem to have problems with aftermarket crank sensors. so - if you can afford it, just get one from the dealer, or an oem one from the junkyard.

there's some very good, very old threads about no bus from ... i can't remember... a dodge tech from a long time ago.
he said - when it was showing a no bus - to unplug all the sensors and see if it would go away. then plug them back in one at a time and see which one triggered the problem.

RABBLER - https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-bus-mean.html

Last edited by dhvaughan; 05-12-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:55 PM
TraceB

Well I replaced the crank sensor, now it only idles for about ten seconds, backfires, and dies. No codes or check engine lights.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big problems "no bus"