DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   2001 Dodge RAM 1500 Gasping & Stalling (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/356014-2001-dodge-ram-1500-gasping-and-stalling.html)

pseudonoise 05-20-2013 10:31 PM

2001 Dodge RAM 1500 Gasping & Stalling

My 5.9 RAM started the occasional "gasping"... not sure exactly how to explain it other than pushing the gas pedal and having no power, some knocking and no acceleration. Pop it in neutral, shut the engine off, restart it and I can continue on my way without a problem for a while. Sometimes it happens while idling and it stalls. Same fix - shut it off, restart it and everything is cool for a while.

Been meaning to check for leaks on the intake manifold, just no time lately. Already replaced the distributor cap. The only code it's showing is one for an evaporator leak (forget the number but it's the one the says to try replacing the gas cap). Tried that too with no luck. Can't find any cracked vacum lines. There's no consistency about when it happens. Sometimes happens when it's damp and raining, other times when it's hot and sunny out. Sometimes after and hour or so of driving, sometimes after it's been running for only a few minutes. The truck only has 60,000 miles and was never beat on.

If anyone has a similar problem with a known fix and can save me some time in the garage I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

dhvaughan 05-20-2013 11:50 PM

is it a case where the engine only revs up to a certain point, like 2000 rpm or 2500 rpm and then no farther --- cat is clogged up.

dhvaughan 05-20-2013 11:53 PM

other common issues could be bad TPS (throttle position sensor). low fuel pressure/bad fuel pump (check pressure with a rented gauge from local parts store).

that is straightens out on restart leans toward something electronic, or sensor related.

pseudonoise 05-23-2013 04:12 PM

TPS sounds promising. Cheap and easy to get to. Thanks.

superstructureinc 05-23-2013 09:39 PM

Mine has done the same thing for a few years now. It only did it in the summer, so I figured coil. New coil....Still happens

djamaica63 05-24-2013 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by pseudonoise (Post 3021192)
My 5.9 RAM started the occasional "gasping"... not sure exactly how to explain it other than pushing the gas pedal and having no power, some knocking and no acceleration. Pop it in neutral, shut the engine off, restart it and I can continue on my way without a problem for a while. Sometimes it happens while idling and it stalls. Same fix - shut it off, restart it and everything is cool for a while.

Been meaning to check for leaks on the intake manifold, just no time lately. Already replaced the distributor cap. The only code it's showing is one for an evaporator leak (forget the number but it's the one the says to try replacing the gas cap). Tried that too with no luck. Can't find any cracked vacum lines. There's no consistency about when it happens. Sometimes happens when it's damp and raining, other times when it's hot and sunny out. Sometimes after and hour or so of driving, sometimes after it's been running for only a few minutes. The truck only has 60,000 miles and was never beat on.

If anyone has a similar problem with a known fix and can save me some time in the garage I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

I have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 magnum 5.9Liter engine, sounds like the same problem I'm having. Bought the truck in 2006 and no one has been able to fix the problem, I start it and if I let it sit while started it will start kind of a whining noise, then it smells like ether, and it may stall or fix itself and be okay. this happens intermittent or all the time depends on her mood. I've replaced the tps, iat, iac, o2 sensors, fuel pump, fuel lines, air filter, almost everything you can think of so I am now ready to replace the ecm, seems to me like it's a idle issue with the computer, it idles at 550-650 and should be idling at 700-800. poor gas mileage, stalling out, driving foot on brake and gas so it won't stall. then some days I get in it and it's fine no problem other days can't keep it running or runs poorly..

djamaica63 05-24-2013 03:21 PM

when I have to restart it the engine races and it's hard to stop

pseudonoise 07-17-2013 07:15 PM

I accidentally fixed this stalling problem when trying to fix an evap leak code. At least it appears that I fixed it. The charcoal canisters under the bed of the truck had some cross over pipes that were really cracked. I replaced them and the stalling went away. Going on about 1 month now Still have that P0455 evap leak code but I think that may be an air pump.

For the cracked hoses I found this video pretty handy:

Androcules 01-21-2024 09:23 AM

I got the exact same problem going on. Of course my truck's got 200,000 miles on it and it's a 2000 2500 series Dodge I'm leaning towards some sort of transmission module sensor is getting overheated and causing it. Going to try and get my truck into a transmission shop Monday Tuesday and see if I can get the diagnosis but that's where I'm leaning. I mean other than that moment of bogging on the engine really seems fine IDK seems like a heat problem but not of the engine itself because I have one little difference I have to let the truck sit for 10-15 minutes before it runs perfect again which is why I'm leaning towards Heat and the transmission as the engine isn't overheating!

Androcules 01-21-2024 09:33 AM

I got the exact same problem going on. Of course my truck's got 200,000 miles on it and it's a 2000 2500 series Dodge I'm leaning towards some sort of transmission module sensor is getting overheated and causing it. Going to try and get my truck into a transmission shop Monday Tuesday and see if I can get the diagnosis but that's where I'm leaning. I mean other than that moment of bogging on the engine really seems fine IDK seems like a heat problem but not of the engine itself because I have one little difference I have to let the truck sit for 10-15 minutes before it runs perfect again which is why I'm leaning towards Heat and the transmission as the engine isn't overheating!