2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transfer case leaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 03:59 PM
BIGRED97
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case leaking

Been noticing some drops of fresh fluid in my driveway after I get back from driving. some of it is coming from my transmission, and some of it is the transfer case. I believe the transmission is the the pan seal(hopefully) and i will address that soon.

However the transfer case leak has more a little more confuse. i thing its just the seal where the case comes together. It was rebuilt with new parts about 5 years ago or 60k miles. and it hasn't really given me any issues. Ive check to make sure its not cracked and from what i cant tell its not. I haven't really done any major mud or wheeling with the truck so i'm not to worried about that.

My question is whether or not i need to remove the entire transfer case to reseal it, or if i can just kinda pull it apart as it stands under the truck and place a good bead of black gasket maker around the two halves? anyone had experience with their transfer case doing this?

this thread has been helpful https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...placement.html

Old 05-23-2013, 04:05 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is NO gasket in between the tranny and transfer case. If it is leaking the TC needs to be removed and the 2 seals (input/ouput) need replace. Fix the pan leak first, and see if its just the wind blowing the fluid around.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:24 PM
BIGRED97
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize there is no gasket between the two.

But you could be right, it could be getting blown back from the tranny onto the TC. It just appears to be where the case splits. this weekend the tranny pan will be getting resealed.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

There also isn't a gasket of any kind between the two t-case halves it is just machined surface. When I split a t-case I like to pull it out of the rig just to make it easier. I doesn't normally just start leaking between the two halves. As zman said fix the tranny first and see if that takes care of it. If not then I would guess it is your front or rear seal that is leaking. You can use RTV between the two halves just make sure to let it sit 5-10 minutes before your put the other half on.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:37 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No rtv between the tranny and transfer case please.(the tc case halves yes) If you look on the very bottom where the tranny meets the tc, you will see a hole/indent. That is a weep hole. If it is leaking from there a few days after you clean everything up after fixing the tranny pan leak, then the output shaft seal on the tranny or the input seal on the tc is leaking. (both of the seals are in between the two)Replace both. And look in the FAQ/DIY section. IIRC "sheriff420" has a diy.

Last edited by zman17; 05-23-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:37 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your output seal on your trans might be contributing to it. I had the same issue a while back. Pulled the t-case, re-did the seal, new fluids in t-case, trans, and trans filter. All was right again.

Quick Reply: Transfer case leaking