2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Reverse not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 02:29 PM
SlimLopez13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse not working

my 2002 1500 5.9L is not working. the reverse is not working right. it will go into reverse and go backwards on its own power but when i press the gas it doesn't do anything. could somebody possibly tell me whats wrong with it.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:48 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Technically you are a 3rd gen, but you have the drivetrain of a 2nd gen, so I will move you to that section.

Please do not post in the generic Ram section, you must post in one of the generation sections (for your model year, 2nd or 3rd).

For future reference:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...ead-first.html

Old 06-22-2013, 08:30 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like it slipping really bad.
read over some of this:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...info-only.html

you might get lucky and be able to adjust the rear/low band, or reattach a fallen anchor, or maybe???? replace the band while still in the truck.

forum member stewie had this problem, and got lucky, and was able to adjust the bands and get it going again.

if your not semi-savvy on transmissions, and are not comfortable in adjusting the bands with an inch-torque wrench, find a local shop that is not hated by all previous customers and let them look at it. at least try adjusting the bands which is routine maintenance that nobody does.

a lot of shops have a standard answer for everything - rebuild. good for them, not so good for your wallet. if you get this answer, ask why? and get a second or third opinion. and then maybe - try to adjust it yourself, you might get lucky.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:06 PM
badmojo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I waited 2 months with my tranny slipping in reverse before i decided to a band adjustment. Now i have no reverse. If you still have reverse with the trucks own power, you might be able to save it with the adjustment. If your capable of dropping the pan and adjusting bands yourself i wouldn't hesitate. If your not, bring it to shop asap. My truck is sitting in driveway till i find a good shop.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:30 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by badmojo
I waited 2 months with my tranny slipping in reverse before i decided to a band adjustment. Now i have no reverse. If you still have reverse with the trucks own power, you might be able to save it with the adjustment. If your capable of dropping the pan and adjusting bands yourself i wouldn't hesitate. If your not, bring it to shop asap. My truck is sitting in driveway till i find a good shop.

If while adjusting it you totally lost reverse, you may have dropped the band anchor and therefore cannot clamp band. You might want to drop the pan and feel around the top edge of VB for a rectangular piece of steel about 1 inch long laying up there. Proper adjustment will not cause it to lose reverse.

Quick Reply: Reverse not working