2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum Gasket: RTV or Not RTV ? That is the question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Action Potential
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Plenum Gasket: RTV or Not RTV ? That is the question

Hi

I'm planning to put my plenum back together.. How its cleaned and bead blasted.

Reading the internet and asking a ford mechanic buddy.. they were pro rtv on the plenum gasket. Others say no, rtv hardens, cracks and leaks..

Any experience either way ? I looked in the plenum thread there was no mention so I'm assuming "no rtv"..

thanks

Old 07-01-2013, 10:51 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The shop I had do mine puts a thin line of ultra black along the outside ( I think it was the outside) and he (the owner of the shop) has never had any issues with it.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:14 AM
Action Potential
Rookie

I'm old school big block... I'm going with the rtv on the plenum plate and head side gaskets.. small block work is new to me..

Old 07-02-2013, 08:12 AM
Annihilator_X9
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a little bit in the corners if I remember correctly.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:58 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

None on the plenum plate or gasket itself(either side). Only the 4 corners (gasket to head , gasket to intake), and a thin film with your finger on both sides of intake to head and manifold, at the water ports only. This procedure is stated in the FSM and Haynes manuals. I suggest you buy a Haynes and download the free FSM from the FAQ/DIY section. Hopefully you are using FelPro gaskets.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Action Potential
Rookie

Well, I though about it.. and I went for the rtv on the plenum plate gasket. The gasket came with the Hughes kit.. I'm assuming it was a good quality gasket.. Just in case, I used thin coat of rtv.

zman: Thanks for suggestion about the FSM.. down loaded it and the parts manual.

Did use rtv the headside gaskets.. old and bad habits die hard. The gaskets had some of the coating fall off between the intake ports.. rtv and duct tape are my friend.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:16 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iam from the old school. i dont like RTV. before we had RTV we used permatex #2 item# 80016. it stays where you put it. not like RTV sliding around like a over powrered car. just an old guy with something that works. all so try 7-8 oz of marvel mystery oil in the coolant to stop rust.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:45 AM
Action Potential
Rookie

Permatex 2.. much better than rtv.. I like it iron on iron, nothing is better. For aluminum I use rtv..

Haven't tried marvell in the coolant.. Will it clean out old rust ? from the radiator ?

Quick Reply: Plenum Gasket: RTV or Not RTV ? That is the question