DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   CAn a bad thermostat cause trans temp light/OD drop? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/359718-can-a-bad-thermostat-cause-trans-temp-light-od-drop.html)

UnregisteredUser 08-05-2013 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by LoneWolfArcher (Post 3056354)
In the end the Jasper reman was the best bang for the buck, with a great warranty that is nationwide to boot.

I hope that Jasper doesn't go bang. Old friend who were top notch builders used to cringe at the mention of Jasper, and told horror stories about customers replacing engines or transmissions two or three times to get a good one, or giving up on Jasper completely and getting a real full service shop to fix the problem instead. I hope you don't end up in that boat!

LoneWolfArcher 08-05-2013 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser (Post 3056460)
I hope that Jasper doesn't go bang. Old friend who were top notch builders used to cringe at the mention of Jasper, and told horror stories about customers replacing engines or transmissions two or three times to get a good one, or giving up on Jasper completely and getting a real full service shop to fix the problem instead. I hope you don't end up in that boat!

Okay. Hmm. I've always heard good things about Jasper. I read about a few bad experiences on the internet but mostly about engines not trasmissions. My trans guy says they've always stood behind their transmissions that he's installed. He's only had one that he had to pull out and send back to them, and they admitted fault and completely covered it under their warranty (including his labor).

UnregisteredUser 08-05-2013 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by LoneWolfArcher (Post 3056474)
Okay. Hmm. I've always heard good things about Jasper. I read about a few bad experiences on the internet but mostly about engines not trasmissions. My trans guy says they've always stood behind their transmissions that he's installed. He's only had one that he had to pull out and send back to them, and they admitted fault and completely covered it under their warranty (including his labor).

I'm rootin' for ya, man, hoping you get a good one. You probably will, as most of Jasper's stuff makes it through the warranty period and they often do pick up the full tab when things go wrong.

Ultimately, if you're not aiming to get more than another 100,000 miles out of the truck and don't plan on working it hard there's no reason to spend any more than you have to on a transmission as just about any old rebuilt-to-stock unit will go that far. My factory unit puked at 98k miles, but it saw almost no highway miles for the first 96k so it was just constantly shifting throughout its life which is tough on juicers.

I'll keep my metaphorical fingers crossed for ya. :)

LoneWolfArcher 08-05-2013 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser (Post 3056526)
I'm rootin' for ya, man, hoping you get a good one. You probably will, as most of Jasper's stuff makes it through the warranty period and they often do pick up the full tab when things go wrong.

Ultimately, if you're not aiming to get more than another 100,000 miles out of the truck and don't plan on working it hard there's no reason to spend any more than you have to on a transmission as just about any old rebuilt-to-stock unit will go that far. My factory unit puked at 98k miles, but it saw almost no highway miles for the first 96k so it was just constantly shifting throughout its life which is tough on juicers.

I'll keep my metaphorical fingers crossed for ya. :)

Ahh! Okay thanks. I do mostly highway travel to the hunting property up north. Light towing sometimes (trailer with a quad), any load hauling tends to be lighter loads, and rarely need to take it off road (some trails on the property). For the most part I would be thrilled to get 100k miles out of it. I've put about 6000 miles on it in the 21 months I've owned it.

LoneWolfArcher 08-08-2013 03:35 PM

Well, my reman'd trans is in, and pick my truck up in about 2 hours. Can't wait!

LoneWolfArcher 08-25-2015 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by LoneWolfArcher (Post 3058115)
Well, my reman'd trans is in, and pick my truck up in about 2 hours. Can't wait!

So after 2 years of driving my truck (it isn't an every day driver, so it has about 11k miles on it since the trans was put in), I started getting a 1740 code. Checked the fluid, it looks brown. Took it to my trans guy and he said that he thinks Jasper will have to pay him to fix it.

I'll let you know what the verdict is. Was driving pretty good, shifting through the gears fine. Did have it kick out of OD once, but that hasn't recurred. It does seem to cycle in OD with a change of RPM which signifies TC slippage. Which is what got the trans replaced in the first place.

Hopefully Jasper will live up to their 3 year 100k mile warranty.

LoneWolfArcher 08-25-2015 02:32 PM

Trans shop just called. Jasper is putting another remanufactured trans in my truck, $0 out of pocket to me!

Too bad the other one failed less than 10k miles in, but good on them for standing behind their products.

LoneWolfArcher 08-31-2015 01:15 PM

Truck is ready! Picking up this afternoon. Can't wait to test drive it.