2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Quick axle swap question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 10:45 PM
99IB4X4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick axle swap question

My rear axle is nearly done. Put it on jackstands with wheels and drums off today and listened to the clattering going on in there. My question is will a 97 axle work on a 99? I know they changed in 98. The speed sensors are different because advance auto list them as different parts. It looks like the connections are different. I found a 97 LSD axle nearby for $500. Would like to get it if I know it will work with the electronics. Anyone have any experience here? Thanks.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

The sensor may be different, but, I bet the mount, and the hole it goes in are exactly the same. Should be a direct bolt-in.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:11 AM
99IB4X4
Rookie

I'm thinking the same thing . If that's the case, then I can just take the sensor of off mine and plug and play. Hmm, I wish we knew a definite answer to this. I guess I may be the guinea pig. Were there any rear wheel ABS changes done in the 98 refresh? That is the only thing I can see affecting it.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

So far as I know, the sensor being slightly different is the ONLY difference. Make sure your new rear end has the same gear ratio as your old one...... if it doesn't, do NOT put it in 4x4, things will break.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:57 AM
99IB4X4
Rookie

Contemplating trying to repair it after doing some research. My pinion seems fine. No clunking and I can't budge the yoke with the driveshaft off it. That leaves carrier and axle bearings. I can find used trac locks or better online and replace the carrier with new bearings along with new axle bearings since they are coming out too. I'll need to either get or make a carrier adjuster tool and rent or borrow a puller and dial indicator. My brother in law has a press and I have all the other tools. I've already inspected the ring and pinion gears when I changed the fluid last week and they look fine. I'm going to keep looking and weigh my options some more, but I like the idea of having a nearly full rebuilt rear for the same price or less of buying a junkyard axle. In the meantime going to not drive it as to try and save the pinion.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Pull it apart, and see what ya got. Was it noisy before you checked things last week? or is this a recent development?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:15 AM
99IB4X4
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Pull it apart, and see what ya got. Was it noisy before you checked things last week? or is this a recent development?
It was noisy before I changed it. I bought the truck just a couple weeks ago, but didn't notice it until later. I'm leaving for the beach tomorrow until Sunday (in my wife's car), so I'll keep an eye out for carriers online while I'm down there. The rattling I heard with the stethoscope was worst around the fill plug. To me that's either spider gears or carrier bearing(s). I'll dig into it next week when we get back. Looking forward to relaxing and for now.

Last edited by 99IB4X4; 07-16-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 99IB4X4
Contemplating trying to repair it after doing some research. My pinion seems fine. No clunking and I can't budge the yoke with the driveshaft off it. That leaves carrier and axle bearings. I can find used trac locks or better online and replace the carrier with new bearings along with new axle bearings since they are coming out too. I'll need to either get or make a carrier adjuster tool and rent or borrow a puller and dial indicator. My brother in law has a press and I have all the other tools. I've already inspected the ring and pinion gears when I changed the fluid last week and they look fine. I'm going to keep looking and weigh my options some more, but I like the idea of having a nearly full rebuilt rear for the same price or less of buying a junkyard axle. In the meantime going to not drive it as to try and save the pinion.
Yeah I'd recommend that option given that you recently got the truck and you're just getting into things. Pretty tough to go on a $500 Chrysler 9.25" that is older, unknown condition of the internals, AND have to deal with the wiring. Plus, you've got some ability to at least get you to figure this issue out on your existing. Last ditch thing, and will be cheaper, is removing own axle and taking to a shop to reset if it comes to that.

Keep ppl apprised on this as many would be interested.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:34 AM
99IB4X4
Rookie

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Yeah I'd recommend that option given that you recently got the truck and you're just getting into things. Pretty tough to go on a $500 Chrysler 9.25" that is older, unknown condition of the internals, AND have to deal with the wiring. Plus, you've got some ability to at least get you to figure this issue out on your existing. Last ditch thing, and will be cheaper, is removing own axle and taking to a shop to reset if it comes to that.

Keep ppl apprised on this as many would be interested.
Will do on the update. Those shocks should be here Thursday. Got a buddy to pick them up since I'll be gone. Looking forward to testing those too since I think the ones on it may be originals.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:15 PM
99IB4X4
Rookie

Update: just got a rebuilt trac loc off ebay from a 97 ram. Clutch packs, Timken bearings and races all have less than 10k miles on them. Got it for $200 shipped. Decent deal, right? Also got a side adjuster tool for $55 shipped. On vacation now, but when I get back will tear it down and put this in with new axle bearings as well. Crossing my fingers it runs like new.

Quick Reply: Quick axle swap question