2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Good truck, but bad back. Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Simonz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good truck, but bad back. Need help.

Hi. I'm new to this forum.

I have a Dodge 2500 diesel truck. It's a great truck but has a very stiff suspension when not loaded. My problem is that I have a bad back and the rough ride in the truck hurts my back. I would hate to get rid of the truck, so I'm looking for some type of aftermarket shock absorber (suspension?) for the front BENCH SEAT. I can't find anything like it online. Can anyone give me some advice. It's hard to believe I'm the only truck owner with a bad back that needs a heavy duty truck.

Just so you know, I've tried lowering the tire pressure, but this is a real hassle (deflate, then inflate, then deflate, etc., etc.) and doesn't accomplish that much as far as giving me a less bumpy ride. I know I can buy a truck drivers seat for a few thousand dollars but then I have to redo the entire seating arrangement for me and passengers (who also don't like a bumpy ride).

Is there some type of small suspension cushion that can be added to the bottom of the seat frame that will absorb shocks?

Any help (short of back surgery) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

- Simon

Old 07-30-2013, 12:39 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Not trying to be a jerk here, but 2500s were not meant to be soft riding trucks... ever. They are built for work, and that means not a comfortable ride, especially when empty.

However, I can move you to the appropriate section, maybe get a few more answers/opinions. What model year of truck is it?

Old 07-30-2013, 01:15 AM
Simonz

My truck is a 1999 2-wheel drive 2500 diesel with a full size bed. I think it's called an "extended cab" because it has two main doors and two "small" doors that open in the opposite direction. There's a fold up back seat. I want a softer ride in the front bench seat. The middle of the front seat folds down to provide an "armrest". Usually only the driver and one passenger (typically, my wife) sit in it. I rarely use the back seat for passengers.

I was hoping that some company made aftermarket "mini-shocks" that I could install as "mounts" for the front bench seat. I couldn't find anything like that on the internet.

If I hit a pothole, the truck jerks side to side enough to put my back out for a few weeks. I know the problem is my back, not the truck ... but really ... am I the only heavy duty pickup truck owner on earth that has this problem? Maybe someone out there has a solution?

The truck rides "OK" with a load in the bed, but I don't want to always carry around sacks of sand to get a good ride.

Any help would be much appreciated.

- Simon

Old 07-30-2013, 01:18 AM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you're the only one to complain.

I drive a 2012 2500 and its no picnic. Hell my durango rides nicer. Much nicer. But compared to the two.. My fusion is as smooth as smooth can be.

My suggestion.. Buy a new SUV if you're a big dude. Otherwise if you can wing a car.

If you like lots of power, the Nissan armada is a joy

Old 07-30-2013, 11:35 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I will move you to the right section now that I know your model year, as I hinted at previously.

For future reference:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...ead-first.html

Old 07-31-2013, 12:05 AM
ryan0714
Record Breaker

i have never heard of a simple fix like what your lookin for other than a air ride seat. but maybe rather than look for a solution in the seat, maybe you should look into puttin air bags on the truck and do away with the springs. maybe that would make it smoother. not sure. good luck.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:09 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

What about replacing the foam in your seat to take some of the sting out?

The only other thing I can think of besides something expensive would be to remove a leaf out of both spring packs.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:46 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not cheap but a full airbag suspension under the truck would help and still let you load it up. Maybe a set of Skyjacker softride springs, offroad full suspension seat.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:15 AM
generaljr
Professional

there is some kind of small shock absorbers used in the seats from agricultural tractors, the seat has one air bag for height adjustment and socks that control side to side, fort and back and of course up down movement, one of that seats in a pick up would work excellent

Old 07-31-2013, 01:55 AM
ryan0714
Record Breaker

i still thing puttin air bags on it would be the best idea , its money yea, but its prob the best option, but replacing the foam with some thick *** memory foam or something may work.

Quick Reply: Good truck, but bad back. Need help.