2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to deal with backseat rot?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 10:00 PM
ShelbyGT550
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to deal with backseat rot?

Found this nice hole after removing the carpet -_-. Also are these rockers gone?

How can I (if i can) get rid of this rust so it does not spread or get worse?

Rocker

Old 09-27-2013, 08:01 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Looks pretty bad. If it was surface rust it would be one thing, but you got rust through. You got to cut the bad stuff out or it will just keep spreading. You might be able to slow it down with some rust preventer stuff, but your best bet is to just cut it all out and replace.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:57 AM
ShelbyGT550
Professional

How do I go about cutting that out though, Thats the problem. As it looks like the back of the cab mounts to it, and there is a "reinforcement" in the way thats spot welded

Old 09-27-2013, 12:13 PM
ShelbyGT550
Professional

Any and all help is appreciated. I was devastated when I pulled the carpet and saw that. As I did not catch that when I inspected the truck before I bought it. I did not want another rust bucket. I take it the rockers will need to be replaced after our 'salt' winter? I love the truck and just replaced the trans, u joints, front drive shaft, brakes and calipers and drums and rotors all around. But I am almost thinking of selling it off now. I got no body work knowledge and have very little money

Old 09-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had an old timer who said he had a friend who had a major rust problem in the driver floorboard, holes everywhere.

Apparently he just used some por-15 and covered it on paper towels and kinda made a floorboard. Swore by it. I wouldn't really recommend that

I have approximately 0 body work knowledge sorry

Bit if you have already done that much work to it might as well fix the body rust because then you'll have an extremely solid rust

Old 10-04-2013, 10:18 AM
ShelbyGT550
Professional

Hopefully you ment "truck" not "rust" lol Its all repaired and reassembled, Need to get the lower latches for the rear doors though as both broke when I went to remove to sand the bottoms of the doors. Pics here : https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...x-rebuild.html

Quick Reply: How to deal with backseat rot?