2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I need a few questions answered

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 11:37 AM
Jakob_E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a few questions answered

Alright guys here is the skinny.

I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500, so far it has cai,headers,stage 2 patc transmission, 4.56 gears, detroit truetrac in the rear diff, tuned by hemi fever. also has leveling kit and 33s. I want to build a trail rig out of it to run light trails at local events. So for front tow points i was planning on a front mount reciver hitch. I am wondering about what I can do about front axle strength, since i want to keep it street legal and dont plan on running anything bigger than 35s. also im thinking of adding a true trac to the front axle. Any input would be appreciated thanks for your time.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:46 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say put some dana 60s under that b but you already have a lot of money invested in your lil 1500 axles.

Not really sure about any ways to strengthen the front axle. DIff corver guard. The OREs came with trussed 44s. Could look into that maybe.

You COULD just put a 60 under the front. The 9.25 is a pretty stout axle in itself. Just a step down from the 60. Albeit a lot less diff options and not full floating.

WN does some pretty extreme wheeling compared to what most people here do. Which mostly amounts to driving through a couple mud puddles. His truck is pretty modified though. But has stock axles for now. Im sure he will chime in sometime.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Jakob_E

thats the thing i have quite a bit into the axles i got now , and they work fine but by strenthing i ment like chromoly axles shafts, Ujoints stuff along those lines. I also thought about the doing the swap to 1 ton running gear. but for the price i could pick up a 3/4 and be done with it.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:52 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea. But anyone can just buy one? What's the fun in that be original lol

Old 05-26-2014, 12:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

For what you would have to spend to upgrade yours (axle shafts and such), it would actually end up being cheaper tossing a couple D60's under there.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:12 PM
Jakob_E

if i come across axles wouldnt i still end up having to buy new gears and traction aids. but i planned on waiting to swap axles untill later on. how about suspention wise, any lifts out there to avoid or steer towards for trails? what do you guys think of the front receiver hitch instead of a full blown bumper? since im a welder by trade i planned on making my own bumpers eventually. Also skid plates, and rocker guards, anyone have good designs for those?

Old 05-26-2014, 09:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You thinking a receiver mount winch or something? Even if it's just for tow hooks, or a d-ring, not a bad idea. I think the meanest one I found on the market was 9000 pounds. Since you are a welder, you could probably beef one up without too much trouble. (just to be safe. )

Also.... since you are a welder...... Make an axle truss. If you stay with 35" tires, or smaller, and don't go mad jumping, or blasting at warp nine thru mud all the time, stock axles should hold up. Just carry a spare hub/bearing with you.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:08 PM
Jakob_E

I was planning on at first making another Clevis to receiver mount like I did for the rear, that way Ii can get out and be "legal" on the trails. eventually I want to build a winch mount so I can move the winch to what ever end of my rig I need to pull from. But that will happen once funds start building up again. and yes I dont plan on going to get too wild and crazy yet. Just some light trail riding till later on in life. the axle truss should be stitch welded on correct? or do they clamp on some how? and they Typically are just on the Bottom side of the axle as well?

Old 05-27-2014, 10:17 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

From the factory, the ORE editions had the trusses welded, I think..... I have seen many that simply bolt/clamp on though. Might wanna have a look at some commercially available designs, and build yours based on one of those. I might lean toward the bolt-on style though, so if you DO break something serious enough, you can transfer it to the replacement axle.

Wonder if you could order the trusses for the ORE? Then simply put them on.....

I like the portable winch mount. Being able to pick a direction to pull from, instead of always have to go forward, has save my keester on a couple occasions. (No winch on current truck yet though..... in the plans. )

Old 05-27-2014, 11:29 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What are you talking about HeyYou? There is no actual "truss" structure on the front ORE axle. The housing on the lower side is just larger ribbing. It was casted that way.

it's really difficult to provide the OP with some direction. At least we know he's targeting 35" tires and aside from lift, the drivetrain is more than ready for it.

What have you done suspension wise or thinking?

To understand the things to consider for your pocketbook, it's more meaningful to know your general location and thus type of trails/wheeling you do or hope to do. A couple of us here have a wide mix on that.

As HamBone said, I'm still running my stock ORE axles (open front and rear LSD; 4.10s). Only thing replaced are the front axleshaft ujoints. Driverside started crying the crunch sounds of lost needles and being dry for some reason. Terrain and driving style (mostly) is what has kept me intact. Some people have worse luck. Wheel spin is your enemy no matter what!

The cost to larger is variable. Dependent on location, region you are in.

Yes, you can get chromoly shafts for front and rear. It's not a poor choice at all considering where you are at with the drivetrain and the inference made from the little trail riding experience described.

I wouldn't recommend a hitch receiver on the front at all. You're a welder (as you say), so make something that will hold the winch up front. Based on your wheeling target (which sounds mild to me), you won't ever need it for the rear. Not that I'm something to compare, but no one here (that I have seen) has reported use for one in the rear...

Lugging the winch around will get old fast! Dealing with it being secured will be a PITA. Needing it when you forget it at home will not be cool.

How about some pictures of your ride and places it's been having fun? That will help some of us give you some other things to consider. Feel free to disregard any of my comments too!!

Quick Reply: I need a few questions answered