2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Eaton E-locker vs Truetrac Dana 44

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 09:06 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eaton E-locker vs Truetrac Dana 44

Hey guys, need some advice. My dad has a 1998 ram 1500 and we are in the process of ordering him 4.88 gears and he wants some added traction up front. Will be running 35s. The truck will see some offroad but nothing hardcore. Mostly mud/snow on mild trails. The truck also snowplows our driveway. Also, we don't want a full time locker like a Detroit because they handle like crap on the highway and sometimes you need 4wd on the highway up here in Canada. I know the D44 isn't the greatest axle for wheeling but we're not upgrading to D60's (would be nice!) in the foreseeable future and we have 3 spare working D44s and 9.25s.

So.. We have it narrowed down to two options. Eaton E-Locker or Detroit Truetrac LSD. I have searched many sites but have not found a single 2nd gen dodge ram owner with personal experience of either.

The E-locker is an extra $200 and it appears to be a very good unit. Most reviews are positive. The front differential works as an open differential which is great (on road use) until you hit the switch to lock it (offroad use.) The downside to the E-locker is that it is electronic and some say it is not as reliable as a fully mechanical locker like Detroit Locker or Truetrac, which makes sense. Wh1t3Nuke has informed me of problems with the magnetic engagement system overtime.

The Detoit Truetrac is a top of the line Limited Slip. It uses helical gears. Very good reviews but mostly used in the rear end. Some people say it handles like an open differential on the highway and some say it will throw you in the ditch. From what I have read, it is the most reliable type of LSD/locker but it will wear quicker than the E-locker as it is always working when in 4wd. Also, I'm not entirely sure how our CAD system works but some say one tire is still connected to the limited slip even when in 2x4?

I created this thread as I feel it is more appropriate than using my other thread (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...rse-gears.html) Anybody using either one that can offer some advice or someone with some knowledge of either? Thanks

Last edited by Thornloe Pride; 11-12-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:34 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Well I am going to throw my $.05 worth of advice out here.
I am a hard core wheeler and have been running many types of lockers in my rigs for years. I love a Detroit Locker for it's simplicity and the fact that it is always there and will work 99% of the time with zero issues. I have to say that the stories of a auto locker and snow and ice are a bit far fetched. Yes you have to remember that you have it in the front or rear but if YOU drive correctly a Detroit Locker can work in snow and ice. I have driven a Suzuki Samurai and Jeep Wrangler with auto lockers on both axles on roads with snow and ice. Never once got in the ditch.

As to you two choices I would go with the TruTrac. First off because it is gear driven so it doesn't wear out like a clutch type locker. That is why people run them in the rear of their rigs. It is also a strong limited slip in that it locks up well. I would think that you would have little to no issues on the road in 4WD. Then when off-road just feather your brakes a little to cause the wheel with no traction to lock up.

I know a few guys who are running the Eaton locker and they like them but these are trail rigs so they do not get a lot of street time.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my biggest concerns with the E-locker was that it has a 2 pin design on the 44 unlike the Dana 30 which has a 4 pin design. Well.. Good news! Just got this email:

Thank you for the interest in Eaton differentials. Great timing Sir as the new 4 Pinion Dana 44 has just been launched and ready to be ordered. The part numbers are as followed:

30 spline, 3.73 and numerically lower – 19977-010.
30 spline, 3.92 and numerically higher – 19969-010.

Regards,

Barney Gwozdz

Quick Reply: Eaton E-locker vs Truetrac Dana 44