2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake woes

Old 09-09-2013, 03:40 PM
eddiekimberly
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake woes

Someone help. 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Lariat 2wd. Just installed a new set of front brakes and rotors. I got them as a kit from autoanything.com. The pads are Centric c-tek. Since the install, the brakes are bad to the bone. No pulling, no bouncing. Just perfect stops and will stop on a dime and give you 9 cents change. HOWEVER, the pads on the passenger side scrubs all the time, just rubs the rotor...all...the...time. I have had this thing apart 3 times. The caliper is pulling back. I can't feel anything holding me back as I drive. Just like the pads aren't floating back right. Yet they are free on the little tracks. What am I missing. TIA.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:46 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Bad brake hose maybe. Or sticky caliper piston.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:51 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you clean the rust out of the caliper bracket where the clips for the pads sit? I've had it happen that the rust was pushing in the clip and in turn the clip was pushing on the pad. Therefore the pad was real tight and didn't want to slide easily.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:45 PM
eddiekimberly
Professional

APPARENTLY, you are supposed to remove the backing if installing it with new rotors and that seems to have fixed me right up. Stepson works for the Chevy dealership and said they do it all the time. Test drove it. No scrub, no rub, no prob.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:36 PM
eddiekimberly
Professional
Default new symptom

Ok. Today, I noticed a metallic scrub just on the passenger side front today. I took it apart and had my wife push the brake pedal and the 2 pistons didn't come out at the same rate nd when she let off, didn't retract much at all. Everytime she mashed the pedal, the rotor got harder and harder to turn. I am thinking I am in need of new calipers. Plus the ring at the front of the caliper that presses to the back of the pad (ceramic, maybe) has chips all over it where they have been taken off before and weren't properly compressed. Guess a trip to my local pick and pull is in order. Thoughts?

Old 09-11-2013, 11:22 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't trust junk yard calipers

My local dealership has reman OEM calipers for 60 bucks with a core

Old 09-12-2013, 12:26 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

$53 each + core at Autozone here.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:38 AM
eddiekimberly
Professional

I was gonna rebuild whatever I got, not just put them on, but if I can get my hands on the cash I will go for the new or reman ones. I am on disability and it blows. Spinal surgeries will do that to you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake woes