2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

IAT Sensor ?.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 03:30 AM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IAT Sensor ?.

Ive read were some here and on other forums have moved the IAT sensor from the intake manifold to the tube of there cold air intake. Are there any gains to be had by doing this ?.

Ive owned other vehicles in the past were the IAT sensor was between the throttle body and the air filter housing, and that would seem like the better place for it to be to read the colder air coming into the engine.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Doesn't really matter where you put it. The engine will adjust mixture by seeing what the O2 sensor has to say in any event. IAT plays more of a role in open loop operation. (cold engine, or large throttle openings) Having it someplace other than the stock location will have you running a bit richer, that's about the only difference.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Doesn't really matter where you put it. The engine will adjust mixture by seeing what the O2 sensor has to say in any event. IAT plays more of a role in open loop operation. (cold engine, or large throttle openings) Having it someplace other than the stock location will have you running a bit richer, that's about the only difference.
If your running a bit richer, wouldn`t that give you a little more power even thought it may be a very small gain ?.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:49 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Those "+100 hp chips" on ebay operate off the same principal. It's nothing but a resistor yuo tap into the IAT wiring to trick the computer into thinking it is cold so it richens up the mixture a bit. The gains are hardly noticeable. I actually made one for my Dakota. I could not tell a difference in any sort of power gains, but my mileage did go down like 1 mpg or so.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I moved the IAT sensor from the keg to the inlet tube (K&N) about a month before fitting an FI-Airgap, so I could see the effect of moving the sensor.
The new location is ~6" before the TB, and did not require extending the sensor cable.
The air temperature is ~50°F cooler in this location.
I saw no change in performance or MPG.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Those "+100 hp chips" on ebay operate off the same principal. It's nothing but a resistor yuo tap into the IAT wiring to trick the computer into thinking it is cold so it richens up the mixture a bit. The gains are hardly noticeable. I actually made one for my Dakota. I could not tell a difference in any sort of power gains, but my mileage did go down like 1 mpg or so.
I know those chips on ebay are junk and don`t do anything. I would never waste my money on them.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran

Originally Posted by Spillage
I moved the IAT sensor from the keg to the inlet tube (K&N) about a month before fitting an FI-Airgap, so I could see the effect of moving the sensor.
The new location is ~6" before the TB, and did not require extending the sensor cable.
This is the kind of information I was looking for, wondering if there were any gains to be had if the IAT was moved to a location were it got colder air flow.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

It would run richer in open loop. If there was any gain to be had there, you wouldn't notice it.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:01 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran

Originally Posted by Spillage
+1, I did the exact same thing last month.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:04 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram Driver
I know those chips on ebay are junk and don`t do anything. I would never waste my money on them.
Guess what I was trying to say unsucessfully was relocating the IAT so it "sees" cooler air is the same concept of those chips.

Quick Reply: IAT Sensor ?.