2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine Removal...Best Method

Old 09-27-2013, 10:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Remove the crank position sensor before pulling the motor. They tend to become victims if you don't.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:21 AM
getdown78
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EFS463
Ok guys, I finally got the break I was looking for. I am a 19 year old technician at a local shop. Ive been there for a year now and my boss is finally going to test my ability and let me try to swap a motor on my own. I have a 10 hour shift on saturday and I am hoping to have it in, out, and running. In the past I have helped our master tech, so I know of the basis of engine pulling but I wanted to ask some of you a bit more wise a few questions.

Truck I am swapping is a 2001 Ram 1500, 2wd, auto trans. truck DOES have AC. Is there anything really that tricky about pulling the motors out of these second gens? I have never been around when one has been done in one of these trucks. any good trucks or tips you could provide me, or any helpful advice? my main question is, is it easier on these trucks to pull the engine and trans out together, or just pull the engine and leave the trans in the truck?

I am a bit nervous and want to impress my boss as well as beat the flat rate for it (about 13 hours), so any advice helps. I am very ambitious about my career as an automotive tech and I hope this goes smoothly. I cant see it taking me 13 hours to pull it swap over the parts and get her back in but thats why I want to check with you guys! Any information is much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.
Yea i was the same way when i was about 20 yrs old but depending on where you live because where i am at it is hard to make money and i wish i would of took a different path yrs ago ! I like working on cars and know alot but these shops just don't want to pay anything or care if you can pay your bills at the end of the week !

Old 09-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary-L
Do you have a leveler for the cherry picker? Granted, pulling a V6 will be much easier than pulling a V8, but an engine leveler will make the job more bearable.

Go ahead and remove the radiator "just in case", but the condenser and transmission cooler can stay.
I definitely 2nd this from BA Gary!!

Leveler costs $30-40 from Napa.....

Old 09-27-2013, 03:32 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 297 Likes on 281 Posts

Yup, defintely very helpful to have the leveler when installing the 'new' motor to get decent alignment with the back of the motor and the transmission, so that they will bolt up easier. You can pickup a leveler at Harbor Freight very reasonably, as noted below:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-qua...ler-67441.html

Old 09-27-2013, 03:41 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Yup, defintely very helpful to have the leveler when installing the 'new' motor to get decent alignment with the back of the motor and the transmission, so that they will bolt up easier. You can pickup a leveler at Harbor Freight very reasonably, as noted below:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-qua...ler-67441.html

If you're going to suggest tools, try to stick with quality and not the one-time use garbage from Harbor Freight.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:51 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just don't plan on putting it or another one back in.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:18 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I find it much ezer to fully remove the motor mounts, this helps major in the reinstall to get things lined back up, once bolted to the trany then put the motor mounts back in.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:33 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 297 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary-L
If you're going to suggest tools, try to stick with quality and not the one-time use garbage from Harbor Freight.
Not all Harbor Freight tools are garbage. I have their larger leveler and have used it for many years without an issue. Painting all tools from Harbor Freight as 'garbage' is not wise, however, each person has their own opinion.. This thought could be a topic all of its own...

Old 10-04-2013, 08:02 AM
EFS463
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well guys I thought I will give an update. I came in saturday with a big cup of coffee and a rested head ready to knock this thing out. Before I even racked the truck I pulled the valve cover....sludged up WAY worse that the motor that is coming out. Needless to say I refused to put it in and my boss was happy that I didnt put the motor in before realizing it was bad. We are still looking for another used engine...a week later...that fits the customers budget. Thinking we might go to a local wrecker and pull it ourselves. Ill keep you posted and thank you for all the comments so far.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The customer would save money in the long run by having the donor engine refurbished. There is no guarantee that a junkyard engine will last one day, one month, or even one year.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Removal...Best Method