2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stalled After Rebuild, Now No Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 08:21 AM
jhoff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalled After Rebuild, Now No Start

I recently finished the rebuild on my 1997 Ram 5.2, I was out for a drive with about 25-30 miles on the engine, and rights as the transmission was about to shift into overdrive the the rpms dropped and kept dropping then it died. No bangs, knocks, pops, pots and pan noises, so I am not thinking the worst yet. It will crank over just fine, it does not sound like it has no compression, I have checked for spark up to plugs- ok. Checked for fuel- ok Pulled plugs and checked for fuel and they are dark from all of the fuel trying to restart. When I try to start, it just cranks and every once and a while it will pop through the intake like the timing is off.

I need a little help here guys, I would really like to get this running again. If you have questions or ideas, ask away

Old 11-13-2013, 11:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Stomp the gas pedal to the floor, hold it there. Crank engine, see if it starts. Might take a minute or three....

Old 11-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jhoff
I recently finished the rebuild on my 1997 Ram 5.2, I was out for a drive with about 25-30 miles on the engine, and rights as the transmission was about to shift into overdrive the the rpms dropped and kept dropping then it died. No bangs, knocks, pops, pots and pan noises, so I am not thinking the worst yet. It will crank over just fine, it does not sound like it has no compression, I have checked for spark up to plugs- ok. Checked for fuel- ok Pulled plugs and checked for fuel and they are dark from all of the fuel trying to restart. When I try to start, it just cranks and every once and a while it will pop through the intake like the timing is off.

I need a little help here guys, I would really like to get this running again. If you have questions or ideas, ask away

Alright. What color is the truck?

Old 11-13-2013, 04:11 PM
jhoff

Truck is green

I put in new plugs, and new pick up coil, but it is firing like the timing is off, popping out of the intake. The crank sensor was new at the time of the rebuild.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Distributor slip? (so the wrong cylinder gets the spark, moving the distributor does nothing about timing... unless it is WAY off.)

Old 11-13-2013, 04:14 PM
jhoff

I know that base timing is not adjustable, fuel sync was set one truck was running, I guess I will have to set it to tdc and check if the rotor points to #1.

Is there a way to test the crankshaft position sensor?

Old 11-13-2013, 04:15 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Hopefully you aren't just swapping parts. If so, you're wasting time and money.

I would remove all of the plug wires and then re-install each one in accordance with the TSB that shows the improved routing.

Verify all ground wires have been reconnected. Double check that the distributor has been bolted in place and also check the connection at the Hall Effect sensor. It could have gotten dirty, which can cause problems.

Verify the flywheel crank sensor is properly seated and bolted into place. Check the connection with it as well.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:16 PM
jhoff

I had a pick up coil laying around, I needed the plugs the old ones were black as night.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Did you change O2 sensors as well with the rebuild?

Old 11-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by jhoff
I had a pick up coil laying around, I needed the plugs the old ones were black as night.

That's fine. I couldn't tell from your post if you did that at the rebuild or right after the truck stopped running. For now, you need to take the time to properly troubleshoot.

In addition to the earlier suggestions, verify there is fuel flowing to the injectors and also spark at the plugs.

Quick Reply: Stalled After Rebuild, Now No Start