2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changing/Flushing Anti-Freeze Procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 03:21 AM
JeremyMichael
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing/Flushing Anti-Freeze Procedure?

Okay, the anti-freeze in my truck looks really dark and ugly green, we bought it from a friend, so I think it's time to change the anti-freeze, but what is the procedure?

Is the radiator as simple as some where I just unscrew a bolt to drain the anti-freeze from it? Then add some water (gallonish?) and run the car for awhile to flush out the system ~15 minutes, more if needed until it's pretty clear?

And from what I have read the capacity for the coolant is 20qt (5 gallons) so would I need 2 gallons and add water as needed, or 3 gallons and add water as needed?

I have read some people say just add it all to the radiator, and other's say to add it to both the radiator and the reservoir.

And what kind is recommended? I was looking at possibly using Peak, as it's said to meet OEM standards, but I would like your input.

I am driving a 2000 Dodge Ram.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most of the coolant stays in the block. So you need to drain it somehow too. I just unhook the lower rad hose. Make sure the system is cool. Block has drain plugs somewhere but they're probably not worth fighting

Also it takes more then 5 gallons if you completely flush everything. I bought so much antifreeze when I did my plenum lol.

Service manual says full rad up and reservoir but I personally have never done that

Old 10-16-2013, 10:20 AM
clipper77
Veteran

Since the system is going to be empty, you could use this opportunity to change the thermostat as well.

The amount of hardened deposits and crap that came out of the bottom of my block when I pulled the drain plugs was astounding... I think someone had mixed the green and red coolant together at some point in my truck's life.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:46 AM
JeremyMichael
Professional

Well I want to get the regular non dilluted kind, so would 3 or 4 gallons do? Since I would need to do 1 gallon of water per gallon of Anti-Freeze?

And how much antifreeze do I add to both the block and the reservoir?

Old 10-16-2013, 10:59 AM
snowboundrmk
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take the drain plugs out of the block. Mine came out easy after spraying a little penetrating oil.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:06 AM
BBartow
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clipper77
The amount of hardened deposits and crap that came out of the bottom of my block when I pulled the drain plugs was astounding... I think someone had mixed the green and red coolant together at some point in my truck's life.
I've done that.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:07 AM
Ham Bone
Champion

I think concentrated antifreeze actually makes 2 gallons

Old 10-16-2013, 11:13 AM
JeremyMichael
Professional

Okay, let me run through steps so I know I am going to do it right, go ahead and buy 4 gallon's and a thermostat.

Take off both radiator cap and reservoir cap, go under truck and look for and pull plug with a 2 gallon bucket or similar underneath.

Let completely drain, replace reservoir cap, and add water to radiator till full, close radiator cap, turn engine on, turn heat to max, let engine run for about 15 minutes, let cool, go back under truck and drain, repeat if necessary until water is mostly clear.

Once all of it's drain when it's clear, put in new thermostat at the radiator hose, then add antifreeze and water to radiator until at top of radiator, let run for awhile to circulate, and add water (or) antifreeze? to radiator to top off until it's level.

Then add antifreeze/water to reservoir tank to the full line, then after doing so, take off radiator cap, park on an uphill incline turn car on and heat on max, and let the radiator burp for awhile until the air is out?

Last edited by JeremyMichael; 10-16-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Ham Bone
Champion

when you put the thermostat in be sure to pour coolant into the intake or you will have a giant air pocket that is very hard to get rid of. Dont ask me how i know

Old 10-16-2013, 05:44 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Another topic that doing a search here on DF will yield many results. Or the manual, or google search that will ultimately lead you to DF

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...new-topic.html

Quick Reply: Changing/Flushing Anti-Freeze Procedure?