2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electrical / stalling issues

Old 10-15-2013, 09:15 AM
Ziggy2112
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical / stalling issues

ok, my most recent problem is rather strange to me, however after reading a bit on here a battery problem may be at fault.

Here is what I have.

Starting a few weeks ago my radio (of all things) started just cutting off for what appeared no reason. I stopped auto turning on, and I had to actually turn the power button to get it to work (aftermarket)..thought maybe my radio was just going bad.

That was until yesterday when I turn to go into the ol Wal Mart and the truck just went completely dead. Once I got it stopped, it re fired right back up no problem. Thinking perhaps I had a short in my radio or something I just kept it off.
Later that evening I had a errand to run, so I tried the radio again...oddly for the first time in 6 years I heard a whine in my speakers!, odd but I have no idea of the relevance. This morning on the way into work the radio was cutting on and off like a skipping cd, so I turned the unit off.
A few miles later the GEN light came on...then went off....then back on again. When I got to work and pulled into the parking lot, it died again!

Once again it re fired with no problem. I did watch the Volt gauge and it was the normal 14v at idle, and maybe 15V at higher rpms.

Is it possible the battery is shot? or should I call for an exercism?

Old 10-15-2013, 09:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

Both.

have the battery/charging system tested. Most parts stores will do it for free. If you alternator, or voltage regulator is going out, that can indeed cause the truck to exhibit some truly bizarre behavior.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:51 AM
Ziggy2112
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Hey. Just for fun I pulled the ol OHM meter out and did some testing. I get 12V on the battery, 13+V during idle with not much change when adding electrical load. The terminals look questionable though....you think it could be as simple as corrosion of the post and terminals? OR does these readings mean nothing?

Old 10-15-2013, 01:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

Cleaning your terminals is never a bad idea. (ok, if you are cleaning them in a burning burn, THAT is a bad idea......) These trucks seems REALLY sensitive to battery condition, and connections.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical / stalling issues